CANADEM is seeking seasoned professionals with previous relevant experience with WASH Cluster Coordination who are available for an immediate deployment to Baidoa, Somalia as a seconded expert with UNICEF for a 3 month contract in response to AWD/Cholera.
Position Title: Sub-national WASH Cluster Coordinator
Duration: 3 months
Location: Baidoa, Somalia
Position Grade: P3
The cumulative number of AWD/cholera cases reported for the 6 first weeks of 2017 were 4 880 cases and 66 deaths (CFR: 1.5%), this from 38 districts of Somalia. The current outbreaks affecting nine regions are a spillover from the AWD/Cholera outbreak of the previous year and the situation is exacerbated by severe drought that has affected most parts of the country. There is an urgent need to reinforce the Wash coordination at State/Region level, this in the framework of the AWD/cholera response, this through the deployment on surge of a sub national roving Wash Cluster Coordinator AWD/Cholera based in Baidoa.
In coordination with sub-national and local authorities, and in line with national agreed strategies and prioritization, provide leadership and facilitate coordination processes between humanitarian actors at State and Region level as well as to ensure proper communication with the national cluster and other sectoral coordination platforms as appropriate and in the framework of the response to the on-going AWD cholera outbreak. In support of the sub-national and local governments, as appropriate, act as interface between humanitarian WASH partners and duty bearers to ensure WASH related needs of the affected population are properly covered, this in the framework of the AWD/cholera outbreak that currently affects 38 districts in Somalia.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
• Ensure appropriate coordination mechanisms between all WASH humanitarian partners at State/Region level and with the national WASH cluster/coordination platform are in place, including effective links, communication and information management, this in relationship with the response to the AWD/cholera outbreak
• Compile, analyze and keep up-to-date information on humanitarian WASH partners, their capacities and interventions at State/Region level (including Who, What, Where and When) and provide consolidated reports as feedback to partners and for the national WASH cluster/coordination platform regarding the AWD/cholera response.
Needs assessment, analysis and strategy development
• Ensure effective and coherent WASH assessment and analysis, including identifying and closing gaps, involving all relevant partners, ensuring complementarity of their actions and identifying
opportunities for collaboration that can contribute to the improvement of the humanitarian situation and of the response to the AWD/cholera outbreak
• Ensure effective links with Health Cluster or with sectoral coordination platforms at State/Region level as well as with local authorities and stakeholders.
Monitoring and reporting
• Provide sector reports & updates to WASH Cluster at national level as necessary and in relationship with AWD/cholera situation and response
• Assist with WASH outcome reporting and effective information sharing to demonstrate the closing of gaps.
• When necessary, highlight specific issues for the attention of the WASH cluster coordinator and cluster partners to ensure priority and corrective measures are taken in the framework of the AWD/cholera response
Local capacity development
• Support the identification of capacities needed for implementing WASH and AWD/cholera response by partners and stakeholders and, in collaboration with the national WASH cluster, deliver related training of WASH humanitarian personnel and capacity building of humanitarian partners.
• Support WASH Cluster to advocate for donors to fund WASH actors to carry out priority WASH activities in the sector concerned, while at the same time encouraging WASH actors to mobilize resources for their activities through their usual channels.
• Identify core WASH advocacy concerns, including resource requirements, and convey these to the WASH Cluster Coordinator, State/Region authorities, UNICEF, OCHA and other national WASH cluster partners.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
• University degree (preference at Master’s Degree level) qualification desirably in subjects/areas of WASH e.g. Health Promotion or Education, Civil or Public Health Engineering, Public Health (MPH), Environmental Health. Note that work experience may substitute for higher degree qualification.
• Experience in AWD/cholera situations and responses.
• Experience in Coordination at National and/or Regional level.
• Experience in working with government agencies, local authorities, international organizations, NGOs and communities in the field of water, sanitation and participatory approaches in health and hygiene promotion.
• A minimum of 3-5 years of experience with either the UN and/or NGO.
• Fluency in English (verbal and written) required.
If you have all of the above-mentioned skills, please register with CANADEM before contacting us. This can be done on our website at www.CANADEM.ca/register. Then send an email no later than the 17th of March, 11:59 pm EDT (applications will be review on a first one first serve basis) to [email protected] with a Subject Line: “UNICEF-WASH Cluster Coordinator-Somalia”. In your email, please include an updated resume, date of availability, your current location, and a phone number where we can reach you.