Responsibilities and tasks
- Be responsible for the overall development and management of the initiative, including development of research for development ideas, outreach, and implementing annual plans, and making timely delivery of milestones, outputs, and outcomes per the developed plans. This work will be in close collaboration with the Regional Programme Manager;
- Ensure multidisciplinary knowledge development and integration, as well as integration with the partner organizations, to ensure relevant uptake of science in policy and practice;
- Contribute to the Regional Programme’s strategic outcomes and objectives for uptake of outputs and upscaling by partners and immediate stakeholders; and
- Develop and coordinate technical consultations, workshops, pilot interventions, action research, and capacity building activities with partners and other stakeholders.
- Coordinate the planning, budgeting, implementation, monitoring, and reporting of the initiative; prepare the annual work plan and budget for the initiative. This work will be in coordination with Programme Officers;
- Identify and implement appropriate monitoring mechanisms with support from the Strategic Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Unit;
- Be responsible for the financial status of the initiative;
- Prepare technical reports for the initiative as per the institutional and donor requirements; and
- Actively participate in and provide inputs to ICIMOD’s strategic planning process
- Identify staffing needs for the Initiative, and coordinate with the Theme Leaders for human resource allocation to obtain the appropriate mix of ICIMOD staff and short term staff/consultants. This work will be done in consultation with the Regional Programme Manager;
- Develop work assignments for initiative team members, including expected outputs and deliverables. Monitor the individual assignments and provide feedback through an online performance monitoring system;
- Manage and develop teamwork within the Initiative with the key Initiative team members, providing appropriate levels of accountability, responsibility, and authority while maintaining constructive lines of communication and collaboration with the Theme Leaders; and
- Provide support to the Regional Programme Manager in team and capacity building activities of the regional programme and partner organizations.
- Ensure documentation of outputs, knowledge products, and effective dissemination of results and findings to policy makers at various levels and to the international community. Work closely with Knowledge Management and Communication division of the Centre;
- Support existing and foster new networks of stakeholders;
- Develop and maintain a constructive dialogue with different groups of stakeholders in the region and beyond; and
- Represent ICIMOD, publish, and make conference presentations when relevant.
- Contribute to the selection of partnerships with national, regional, and global stakeholders;
- Act as a focal point for communication to organize regional workshops and events, and prepare documentation for donors;
- Develop and maintain partnerships with relevant institutions; liaise and communicate with them to ensure coherence and convergence of the programme outcomes. Work closely with Strategic Cooperation Unit of the Centre on partnership issues;
- Ensure that the role and participation of women are effectively integrated within the programme; and
- Adhere to institutional norms and practices as per partnership strategy and guidelines.
- Work with the Directorate on fund raising, including identification of new funding opportunities, and developing funding concepts and proposals; and
- Maintain constructive dialogue with donors whenever required.
- A post-graduate academic degree (MSc or PhD) with a focus on integrated water resources management or river basin management with strong understanding of mountain hydrometeorology, climate change, social and economic processes interlinkages between physical and socio-economic processes, trade-offs and opportunities, multi-stakeholder engagement process, transboundary cooperation and negotiations in the HKH and river basins.
- At least 8 years of work experience in the field of river basin management with demonstrated expertise and experience in high-altitude research, of which part preferably has been in Hindu Kush Himalayan region
- Five years of experience in a coordinating position or role, preferably in a multi-cultural environment, including managing and coordinating projects focusing on related area and impact assessment with bilateral and multilateral donors
- Knowledge: Possess a thorough understanding and knowledge on subjects related to water resources, hydrology, climatology, social methods, basin level integrated modelling as well as knowledge of latest field and desk-based tools and applications related to resource and hazard monitoring.
- Management and coordination: The ability to plan and manage projects/programmes on the operational level, including day-to-day financial management, task delegation and supervision, and monitoring and evaluation
- Networking/stakeholder management: The ability to identify relevant partners, maintain existing linkages and effectively communicate with stakeholders on different levels, build capacity, and negotiate in case of conflicting issues
- Communication and outreach: Excellent communication and writing skills and the ability to effectively present, explain, and discuss complex ideas, listen to and convince others, and integrate ideas from different people and sources
- Results/impact orientation: Proactive approach within and outside the organization to generate concrete results on the output level and to seek opportunities to transform output to outcome and impact, preferably with good knowledge of the Theory of Change planning, participation, and evaluation methodology
- Social/team competency: The ability to work effectively and smoothly within a team with intercultural sensitivity and the ability to manage team conflicts and to contribute to establishing commitment among team members. Skills in working with colleagues and collaborators of different national, gender, and cultural backgrounds
- Report and proposal writing: The ability to prepare project proposals and progress reports for submission to ICIMOD sponsors and to contribute to successful proposal writing/development
Gender and Equity Policy
Qualified and eligible women candidates and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. ICIMOD implements a gender fair policy and is supportive of working women. It operates a Day-Care Centre at the campus and is committed to gender mainstreaming at the organisational and programmatic levels.
Method of application
Applicants are requested to apply online before 02 Apr 2017 through ICIMOD’s online application system.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.