Contribute to ADB’s work in reducing poverty in Viet Nam, and addressing environmental issues and climate change. Provide expertise in environment, climate change mitigation and adaptation, as well as in civil society and private sector engagement, for application in country strategy and business plan development, project preparation, project administration, and knowledge work. Support processing and administration of ADB loan/grant financed projects for all sectors in Viet Nam, ensuring compliance with environmental aspects of ADB’s Safeguard Policy Statement. Monitor, identify and resolve environmental issues and trends emerging from Viet Nam’s portfolio of projects. Promote the sustainability of project outcomes by protecting the environment and people from potential adverse impacts of projects. Contribute to knowledge sharing, particularly capacity development and training of government counterparts, project and program stakeholders.
Country Strategy and Business Plan Development
- Contribute to country work on environment by providing environment inputs for ADB’s country partnership strategy (CPS) and country operations business plan (COBP), Country Performance Assessment, as well as for other key ADB products (e.g. Asian Development Outlook).with strong national ownership, and in line with ADB-wide priorities.
- Support environment safeguard risk management for the Viet Nam portfolio of projects in compliance with ADB’s Safeguard Policy Statement.
- Monitor, analyze and disseminate key policy reforms in environment and climate change within ADB.
- Develop and maintain networks among government, civil society, academia, media and other development agencies, with a focus on environmental and climate-change-related issues.
- Support initiatives on policy dialogue with Government of Viet Nam and development partners to harmonize and better align environmental safeguard compliance procedures and guidelines.
- Monitor effectiveness of CPS/COBP on environmental issues as needed.
- As a project processing team member, support Project Team Leaders in complying with environmental safeguard requirements of ADB’s Safeguard Policy Statement (2009) and related disclosure policies in project processing, including identifying issues/impacts and proposing risk categorization.
- Within project teams, take responsibility for obtaining ADB environmental safeguard compliance approvals, including for initial environmental categorization, project concept paper, management consideration, and Board consideration.
- Work with counterparts and provide guidance in formulating environmental safeguard planning documents.
- As a mission leader, lead preparation of technical assistance (TA) projects in environment and climate change.
- Achieve strong governmental/stakeholder support for new projects through effective liaison/collaboration with government, civil society, academia, private sector, media and other development agencies, as needed.
- Advise project teams on key political and regulatory reforms and developments related to the environment to ensure relevance of project design.
- Provide analytical inputs and comments to project teams to ensure project quality, covering sectoral and thematic issues, and building on generic project management experience.
Coordinate and review the projects climate change risks assessments (Rapid Environmental Assessments, AWARE TM online rapid climate screening tool analyses, and Climate Risk and Vulnerability Assessments) and associated economic analyses.
- As a project administration team member, coordinate and supervise environmental safeguard plan implementation, monitoring and reporting; conduct environmental due diligence for proposed minor and major changes in scope.
- Engage in project monitoring and supervision to ensure compliance with ADB’s Safeguard Policy Statement, with specific focus on monitoring implementation of the environmental management plans, Environmental and Social Management Systems and Grievance Redress mechanisms.
- Assist in addressing environmental safeguard policy compliance issues that may arise, consulting with relevant departments as appropriate.
- As a mission leader, manage TA projects effectively, including planning, procurement, disbursement, monitoring and reporting. Support portfolio- and SERD-wide safeguard coordination activities, including annual and quarterly portfolio performance reviews and annual safeguards compliance reporting.
- Establish and maintain effective coordination with other development agencies active in the environment and climate change fields.
Knowledge Work, Policy Dialogue
- Enhance knowledge of priority environment and climate change issues in Viet Nam and other countries through participation in thematic groups, special events, briefings, publications, etc.
- Conduct policy dialogue on environment and climate change issues related to ongoing ADB operations.
- Disseminate knowledge gleaned from ADB operations effectively to key stakeholders through seminars, conferences, brownbags and publications, and participation in panels.
- Deliver training on environmental safeguards to government counterpart staff.
- Disseminate key development issues related to ADB operations in environment and climate change effectively through the media, briefings etc.
- Prepare ADB publications and other knowledge products covering environment and climate change in Viet Nam.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with civil society.
- Mentor and support junior staff as required.
- Contribute to internal budget and planning and recruitment exercises.
- Organize missions of ADB Management and senior staff.
Perform other duties that may be assigned as reflected in the incumbent’s work plan.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Applies updated advancements in own knowledge area to relevant tasks
- Applies knowledge and practical skills to independently perform some complex tasks
- Conveys the need to use updated project approaches
- Delivers Divisional contributions across a variety of products and services to meet the needs of different clients
- Proposes options to clients that may better meet their needs than current approaches
- Defines and delivers to agreed standards with clients
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Conducts detailed research and analysis to determine appropriate methods for addressing the causes of issues
- Self-monitors achievement of results according to work plans
- Identifies different stakeholder needs and desired outcomes when planning for outcomes
- Independently solves problems and makes recommendations
- Maintains collaborative relationships within the Department
- Works effectively with diverse colleagues in own and other Divisions and Departments
- Flexibly alters positions and adjusts previously stated points of view to support the group consensus
- Follows through on team priorities in the absence of a team leader
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Checks with audience’s level of understanding and awareness of required follow up actions
- Consistently seeks and addresses feedback on own performance
- Creates knowledge products endorsed for wider distribution
- Independently amends and clarifies messages and documents
Innovation and Change
- Actively supports work improvement and/or organizational change by work and deed
- Develops and adopts change plans to support Division initiatives on which one works
- Considers current and future client needs in proposing ideas
- Vocalizes early support for change
- Recommends inputs to new policies, systems and processes in immediate work area
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, environmental engineering, water resources management, natural resources management or related areas; preferably with Master’s Degree or equivalent.
At least 8 years relevant professional experience in environmental management and environmental safeguards of projects, covering project processing and implementation, and at least 4 years of supervisory experience. Experience and knowledge of various stages of the project cycle (project planning/feasibility analysis/detailed design/project implementation/construction supervision/contract management) is desirable.
- Experience in ADB or World Bank-funded projects is an advantage.
Sound knowledge of issues related to environment, forestry, natural resources management, and climate change impacts.
Relevant experience in Viet Nam working on environmental issues and demonstrated knowledge of Vietnamese environmental legislation and practices.
Sound knowledge of government institutional /administrative systems and procedures in one or more areas including environmental policy and environmental safeguards.
Knowledge of ADB’s social safeguard policy and the Vietnamese regulatory framework and key practices will be an advantage.
Effective report writing and communication skills in Vietnamese and English languages.
Strong conceptual skills and ability to identify issues and appropriate actions at the field office level.
- Proficiency in IT, especially word processing, spreadsheets, and email.
People and leadership skills
Able to mentor junior National Staff and/or Administrative Staff to facilitate work planning, delivery, and quality review.
Strong client focus and high level of commitment to results.
Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
- Strong planning and organizing skills to handle multiple tasks within deadlines.
- Supervisor: Director/Country Director and/or designated International Staff
- The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent:
- Administrative Staff
We encourage diversity in our workplace and support an inclusive and respectful work environment. Women are especially encouraged to apply.