Job Number: 503445 | Vacancy Link
Work Type : Temporary Appointment
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
The purpose of this assignment is to provide technical support and facilitate the processes that will ensure a well-coordinated, coherent, strategic, and effective WASH humanitarian response in Bangladesh. The tasks are to be performed in close consultation with DPHE (WASH Cluster Co-lead), all the 6 UNICEF Field Offices and WASH Cluster members.
MAJOR TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- In collaboration with cluster partners, develop 2017/2018 WASH Cluster workplan of activities and develop a mechanism for monitoring the implementation of the workplan.
- Provide strategic support for the establishment/strengthening of district level WASH cluster mechanism especially in disaster prone districts in the country.
- Promote and create awareness on the use of and adherence to common standards and tools among cluster partners based on the approved operational guidelines for WASH in Emergency and government Standing Orders on Disasters (SODs).
- Facilitate the finalization of the draft WASH Cluster Inter Agency Contingency Plan for Cyclone preparedness and in collaboration with cluster partners develop contingency plan for flood preparedness.
- Advise on the pre-positioning of UNICEF WASH Emergency supplies and provide regular updates on WASH Cluster and UNICEF contingency stocks.
- Co-ordinate the cluster partners to undertake capacity mapping and gap identification exercises to develop a capacity-development strategy and training plan for WASH cluster.
- Organise joint field missions, needs assessments and analysis among cluster partners and participate in joint inter-cluster needs assessment exercises as appropriate to ensure that identified needs, gaps and priorities are as evidence-based as possible in any given emergency context and support the development, update and implementation of the cluster response plan
- Establish/strengthen WASH Cluster Information Management System for effective reporting and information sharing on cluster activities. This should involve setting up and maintenance of an effective database system; review and regular update of the 4Ws information (Who/What/When/Where) of WASH Cluster partners; and electronic news bulletin for WASH Cluster information dissemination.
- Facilitate the development of advocacy initiative to raise the profile and needs of the cluster among in-country humanitarian donors.
- Develop funding proposals for WASH humanitarian response by UNICEF as required.
- Provide advice and strategic direction to UNICEF Field Offices in designing, implementation and monitoring of WASH humanitarian response in their locations as required.
- Convene and facilitate regular WASH Cluster meetings as agreed by cluster members and keep proper records of meeting proceedings for effective follow up of recommended actions and ensure active participation of all members in cluster activities
- Represent WASH cluster at relevant national and sub-national humanitarian meetings and events including those organized by Humanitarian actors in the country and promote inter-cluster coordination mechanisms.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual reports on WASH cluster and UNICEF WASH emergency activities.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
Advanced university degree in Public Health, Civil Engineering, Geology, Social Sciences or any other related technical field.
- Work Experience
- At least 8 years of professional work experience in the UN or other international development organization, national government and NGO.
- Familiarity and experience in WASH emergency preparedness and response in Bangladesh and proper understanding of humanitarian architecture in the country.
- Familiarity with Inter-Agency Standing Committee (IASC) cluster approach and standards for humanitarian response.
- Experience working on development of sector strategies, guidelines and funding proposal for programme implementation in developing countries.
Language Proficiency : Fluency in English and Bangla.
i) Core Values (Required)
- Diversity and Inclusion
Core Competencies (Required)
- Communication [ II ]
- Working with People [ II ]
- Drive for Results [ II ]
Functional Competencies (Required)
• Analyzing [ III ]
• Deciding and Initiating Action [ II ]
• Relating and Networking [ II ]
• Leading and Supervising [ I ]
• Applying Technical Expertise [ III ]
• Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ II ]
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all Bangladeshi nationals, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Opening Date 12 Mar 2017 Bangladesh Standard Time
Closing Date 23 Mar 2017 Bangladesh Standard Time