Riverkeeper is New York’s premier water quality advocate. Our mission is to protect the environmental, recreational and commercial integrity of the Hudson River and its tributaries, and safeguard the drinking water of nine million New York City and Hudson Valley residents. With an annual operating budget of $4.5 million, Riverkeeper is a mid-sized not-for-profit operating in the Hudson Valley. This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic organization experiencing significant growth.
The Development Assistant (DA) provides administrative support to a five person team working to advance Riverkeeper’s programmatic mission by ensuring sustainable funding for the organization’s work, primarily supporting the senior staff. The Assistant will ensure that the administrative processes which support the fundraising effort run efficiently from interactions with donors and supporters to data and gift entry, supporting events, and performing prospect research.
The DA reports to the VP of Development and will also assist Development staff working in Membership, Events, Major gifts and Grants, and Database Services. S/he will also coordinate as needed with Program and Outreach staff for the Department.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Schedule and confirm donor meetings for fundraisers and senior staff
- Schedule internal and external phone calls and meetings with program staff
- Attend meetings, take and distribute minutes
- Greet visitors & accept deliveries to the office, distribute mail
- Order department supplies through Finance Department, consulting and keeping within expense budgets
- Assist event coordinator with event logistics; attend Riverkeeper events as needed to provide on-site support
- Draft and proofread letters and other written materials for fundraising staff
- Work with Data Services Manager to assist with gift entry, acknowledgments, list maintenance, and data clean up as needed
- Create new constituent records, enter call reports, actions, contact information, and other data in Raisers Edge for senior staff
- Assist Membership Manager with member mailings, e-blasts, and stewardship as needed
- Maintain VP of Development’s calendar
- Other duties as assigned
Ideal Qualities and Characteristics
The ideal candidate will be pro-active, detail-oriented, reliable, and flexible with a strong ability to meet deadlines and multi-task. The candidate should thrive in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple priorities and projects. S/he must have excellent written and oral communication skills and enjoy collaborating with a wide variety of people and situations.
- 2+ years of administrative experience, ideally within a not-for-profit development department
- Proficiency in the use of current Microsoft Office and Google software applications
- Knowledge of Blackbaud Raisers Edge and/or similar database programs a plus
- Strong organizational skills; ability to manage projects and workflow, using time and resources effectively. Ability to handle various projects on an ongoing basis while addressing daily needs for the office
- Discretion and confidentiality with respect to donor records
- Enthusiasm for the Riverkeeper mission and for helping the Development team reach its annual goals for financial growth
- Sense of humor, dependability and collaborative spirit required
- BA/BS or equivalent required
- This position is fulltime at 40 hours per week with full benefits
- Requires availability beyond regular office hours for events on evenings and weekends
- Must be comfortable working in an open workspace
- Salary is commensurate with experience
- Riverkeeper is located in Ossining, New York, on Metro-North train line.