US nationals: Civil Engineer (Hydraulic)

Walla Walla, WA, US


Looking for a great place to work?  The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE or “The Corps”) is one of the best in America!  In the last three years alone, USACE has moved up 68 spots in the annual Best Places to Work in government rankings; ranking #111 of 320 agency subcomponents.  Also, USACE ranked #128 out of 500 employers on Forbes’ “America’s Best Employers” of 2015 list. From this list, the Corps ranked #10 in the government services industry, #6 in the federal government, and #8 in the engineering field. Follow this link for more information about the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations.  The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is an innovative, transformative organization providing engineering solutions to customers worldwide. Working at the Corps as a civilian employee means making a direct contribution to war fighters and their families; supporting overseas contingency operations; developing technology and systems that save the lives of soldiers and civilians; providing disaster relief; and protecting and enhancing the environment and the national economy.

About the Position:
The Walla Walla District US Army Corps of Engineers is comprised of motivated and talented employees providing the very best engineering services for communities in the Pacific Northwest. The District’s civil works’ boundaries generally follow the Snake River drainage basin and includes approximately 107,000 square miles in six states – Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, and small parts of Nevada and Utah. A U.S. Army Corps of Engineers officer commands the District’s professional civilian workforce of more than 800 personnel in engineering, scientist, technician, trade/craft, and administrative support staff positions. The District helps manage local water resources for navigation, flood damage reduction, disaster assistance, hydroelectric power generation, and other natural and heritage areas.

Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens


  • Develop hydraulic design features of stream bank protection, river control structures, high velocity channels, and interior drainage structures.
  • Study and analyze field data such as topographic maps, reports of pertinent hydrologic investigations, and geologic reports.
  • Perform computations and field investigations to determine flood plain areas.
  • Make studies of hydraulic characteristics in river channels and estuaries.
  • Develop discharge-frequency relationships for peak and other durations.

Travel Required

  • Occasional Travel
  • TDY (Temporary Duty travel) may be required: 15%

Relocation Authorized

  • Yes
  • Permanent Change of Station (PCS) is authorized IAW the Joint Travel Regulations.

Job Requirements

Key Requirements


In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below.  Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application.  Additional information about transcripts is in this document.

Experience required:

Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social).  You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.

To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: experience in applying fundamental hydraulic engineering theories, principles, concepts, standards, and/or methods to investigate hydraulic problems.

You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:

  • Skill in analyzing data and making recommendations
  • Ability to develop unique solutions
  • Ability to use hydrologic and hydraulic software

Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you may qualify if your education meets the definitions below: (Transcripts must be uploaded).

In addition to meeting minimum qualifications, this position has a basic education requirement. Transcripts MUST be supplied to show you meet the educational requirements.

Please refer to the assessment questionnaire under Minimum Qualifications for the entire list of education and combination of education/experience requirements. View Assessment Questions

Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at – and

Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please include this information in your resume.

Official or unofficial college or university transcript may be used for the application process. Official transcripts will be required at time of selection.

Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.

  • Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
  • You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
  • Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
  • Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
  • Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
  • Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
  • Position may require employee to wear protective clothing/gear.