Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) is seeking a Great Bay – Piscataqua Waterkeeper (Waterkeeper) to advocate and work toward the restoration and protection of the Great Bay estuary, with a focus on water quality. The Waterkeeper will be responsible for building and engaging a strong and coordinated constituent base willing to play an active role in advocating for and implementing needed solutions to protect the Great Bay estuary. She/he must be a diligent advocate for improved water quality and ecosystem health using sound science and a knowledge of the workings of the state and federal agencies that are responsible for the estuary’s health. She/he will interface with other non-governmental, quasi-governmental and governmental organizations involved in Great Bay-related matters, with municipal officials, and with the national Waterkeeper Alliance network, to generate further interest in the Great Bay estuary and support for measures needed to protect it. She/he must represent CLF in public on Great Bay matters and participate in governmental activities related to the estuary.
This is a full-time exempt position. Job duties will include:
- Building and maintaining a constituent base of support from among the public, and strategically coordinating / harnessing the interest of other organizations to build and leverage an effective, unified voice for the estuary;
- Building and stewarding relationships with other organizations, the media, scientists, state and federal regulators, municipal officials, and elected officials;
- Working with the New Hampshire Advocacy Center Director and the CLF Development team, identifying and stewarding major funders, individuals, foundations and companies, for the Great Bay – Piscataqua Waterkeeper program;
- Operating CLF’s 20’ Waterkeeper vessel as a platform to educate and engage members of the public, elected officials, donors, and the media on the water and to monitor conditions in the Great Bay estuary;
- Working with the CLF Communications team, preparing materials such as fact sheets, Op-Eds, and other commentaries, and making strategic use of social media to address issues affecting the estuary and raise the visibility of the Waterkeeper program and CLF;
- Testifying at governmental hearings and public meetings regarding the estuary;
- Preparing comments on permits and other administrative actions affecting the estuary;
- Educating government and elected officials regarding the importance of the estuary and the science supporting CLF positions on Great Bay issues;
- Meeting regularly with governmental entities and Great Bay-related groups to have a positive influence on the direction of programs and the beneficial and strategic use of funds;
- Patrolling waters within the jurisdiction of the Great Bay – Piscataqua Waterkeeper, engaging in or coordinating water quality monitoring, and receiving and responding to calls from the public, to identify problems that need to be addressed;
- Working with and stewarding the Waterkeeper program’s local advisory group;
- Working with other CLF advocates to develop and advance policy positions and initiatives, and to develop and prosecute legal actions as necessary.
Preferred experience for this position includes:
- Degree in the sciences or environmental policy;
- Direct experience with water quality issues, preferably in the estuarine environment;
- Experience working within the Great Bay estuary watershed and with stakeholders within the watershed;
- Strong writing skills;
- Direct experience with federal, state, and local regulatory agencies and legislative bodies;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with an ability to communicate effectively in a variety of contexts and to a variety of audiences;
- Advanced program development, planning and implementation skills;
- Public speaking experience;
- Development experience;
- Experience operating/piloting a boat in marine waters.
Salary and Benefits
CLF offers a competitive salary, an extensive benefits plan, and an open and accepting work environment where differences are highly respected.
By March 30, 2017, send your resume titled “your last name-first initial-resume” (e.g., “SMITH J RESUME”) and a detailed cover letter titled “your last name-first initial-cover” (e.g., “SMITH J COVER”) to [email protected] Please make “Great Bay – Piscataqua Waterkeeper” the subject of your e-mail. Absolutely no phone calls or in-person visits please.