We are currently seeking a Research Associate in the field of Climate Change Vulnerability and Adaptation Strategies to support our science team. The successful applicant will strengthen the science team with strong skills in quantitative and qualitative research methods, as well as with experience and leadership in the area of climate strategy development and implementation. The position contributes to the work of Climate Analytics’ Science Team, specifically in the area of Vulnerability and Socio-Ecological Systems research and implementation, and will work closely with and provide guidance to the Implementation Strategies Team. Successful experience in conceptualising adaptation, impacts and vulnerability projects and research is essential. The position is expected to play an important role in leading key elements of the IMPACT project particularly relating to impacts and vulnerability, which focuses on providing support in the implementation of science-based climate change strategies and improving access to international climate finance, by providing robust methods and analyses as well as through scientific capacity building in least developed countries and small Island developing States.
- Scientific coordination of work on vulnerability and adaptation in the IMPACT project, coordinating and steering work in the project regions (South Pacific, Caribbean, West Africa) and maintaining synergies to other on-going projects at Climate Analytics
- Coordinate and manage the science-implementation interface of the IMPACT project, working closely with the Science and Implementation Strategies Teams
- Lead a team of experts and collaborate closely with experts in developing regions to support scientific capacity building strategies
- Together with regional scientific staff in partner organisations, facilitate the co-development process of scientifically robust methods and analyses and the facilitation of stakeholder consultations
- Design, manage and implement quantitative research and analytical projects in close collaboration with internal and external experts
- Contribute to the planning, implementation and facilitation of regional workshops
- Lead project and research proposal conceptual development, including strategic support in the further development and expansion of the Implementation Team in the area of adaptation and vulnerability
- Writing of scientific publications, reports, work papers and other information material
- Support the overall development of scientific capacity and science-based approaches in CA’s partner institutions
- Minimum seven years of work experience, including research experience in a policy-relevant area, e.g. climate adaptation, vulnerability or relevant development related research
- A PhD in geography, development or a related field is preferred, but comparable qualifications will also be considered
- Experience with inter- and trans-disciplinary work and a profound interest in understanding major challenges of climate change for development
- Experience with science-based policy making and strategy development, ideally in the context of development cooperation
- Experience in project management, coordination and leading small teams of scientists
- Interest in co-development approaches and the science-policy-implementation interface
- Experience in planning and conducting participatory research is an asset
- Experience in conceptualising and leading development of projects and research, and liaison with prospective funders and/or research granting agencies.
- A well-developed sense for team work, excellent networking skills and ability to interact with a diverse array of people
- Willingness to travel regionally and internationally is required
- Excellent English writing and verbal skills are a requirement; French and German skills are welcome, but not required.
We offer a positive and inspiring working atmosphere in an international team as well as insights into the international climate change negotiations and our support work for the SIDS and LDCs.