Job Number: 503272 | Vacancy Link
Work Type : Fixed Term Staff
Purpose of the Position
Accountable for formulation, design, planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluation of WASH programme to ensure overall efficiency and effectiveness of the programme management, delivery and accomplishment of programme goals and objectives.
Key Expected Results
- Programme/project Planning, Development and Management.
Enhance effective programme, sectoral or inter-sectoral, planning, development and management by leading, guiding, coordinating and supporting the timely completion of the Situational Analysis and its periodic update through accurate and complete monitoring and analysis, and the timely preparation or finalization of sectoral input.
Ensure inclusion and delivery on sectoral leadership responsibilities including leadership and facilitation of the IASC WASH Cluster.
- Knowledge Management.
Promote knowledge management by exchange of knowledge, information, situation analysis, experience or lessons learned; promote knowledge sharing and technical input or recommendations on major programme directions and on introduction of new initiatives in the country.
- Rights-Based Programme with Results-Based Approach.
Promote the quality of rights-based WASH programme and programmes through participation in the formulation of programme/project goals, strategies and approaches. Bring coherence, synergy and added value to programme management processes using a results-based management approach to planning and design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Sectoral Work Plan Development, Implementation, and Monitoring.
Takes primary responsibility for the development of the sectoral work plan and technical decisions as well as for project management, implementation and monitoring of assigned project/sectoral activity, in compliance with the defined project strategies and approaches. Support maintenance of information system for monitoring gender/sex dis-aggregated data.
- Programme Management, Delivery, Evaluation and Reporting.
Ensure programme efficiency and delivery through a rigorous and transparent approach to evaluation. Participation in major evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sector review meetings with government counterparts. Ensure the preparation of annual WASH sector status reports.
Ensure adequate and transparent evaluation of emergency preparedness and response.
- Promotion of UNICEF’s Global Goals
Promote the organization goals of UNICEF through advocacy and policy dialogue through active engagement in communication, networking and participation at every opportunity inside and outside UNICEF, leveraging the strength of UNICEF mission, goals and programmes, and reference to the WASH strategy.
- UNICEF and Government Accountability.
Coordinates with Operations and Supply staff on supply and non-supply assistance activities ensuring proper and timely UNICEF and Government accountability. Certifies disbursements of funds, monitors and submits financial status reports to management in compliance with the regulations and guidelines.
Advocate for due attention and support to be given to environmental and sustainable development issues (pertaining to WASH) in all sectors and line Ministries.
Ensure adequate attention is given to Disaster Risk Management, including emergency preparedness and response
- Communication, Collaboration, Networking and Partnership.
- Collaborate with Communication and Programme Communication groups to ensure development of effective communication materials and strategies to support advocacy, social mobilization and emergency efforts.
- Overall coordination with WASH colleagues, Regional Advisers and HQ Officers. Collaborate with other Project, Programme and Emergency Officers to ensure the integration of the project/sectoral programme with other sectors.
- Collaborate with the Operations and Supply Sections and Government authorities to establish and maintain sound internal controls supportive of WASH programme or sectoral planning and implementation, to coordinate financial and supply management requirements as well as to ensure accountability.
- Interact with Government and other partners, NGOs, UN and bilateral agencies in the different stages of WASH programme/project implementation to follow up on agreements and recommendations. Provide technical support and guidance on appropriate technical, financial and institutional capacity building measures to
- achieve WASH programme goals, including humanitarian response.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Advanced university degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Public Health, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Geology, Hydrology, Sanitation Engineering, or a field relevant to international WASH related development assistance.
Additional training in Health Education or Communication for Development (Programme Communication), an asset
Five years of progressively responsible professional work experience in the UN or other international development organization, national government or the private sector. Field work experience.
Background/familiarity with Emergency (preparedness and response) and the IASC Cluster approach.
Fluency in English is required and local working language of the duty station is an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Communication [ II ]
- Working with People [ II ]
- Drive for Results [ II ]
- Leading and Supervising [ I ]
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ II ]
- Analyzing [ III ]
- Relating and Networking [ II ]
- Deciding and Initiating Action [ II ]
- Applying Technical Expertise [ III ]
a) Specific Technical Knowledge Required [ II ]
- Advanced knowledge of one or more of the technical areas of UNICEF programmes.
- Advanced Technical Knowledge of the theories, principles and methods in the following areas: communication for behavior change, WASH in schools, water supply projects management, monitoring and evaluation; integrated water resource management appropriate water supply and quality technology i.e. community based water supply.
b) Common Technical Knowledge Required II ]
Knowledge of the latest theories, technology and practices in:
- Community based sanitation i.e.: hygiene education or latrine construction and waste management.
General knowledge of:
- Methodology of programme/project management
- Programmatic goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies for sectoral programmes
- Knowledge of global human rights and gender issues, specifically relating to children and women, and the current UNICEF position and approaches.
- UNICEF policies and strategy to address WASH issues, including those relating to conflicts, natural disasters, recovery, disaster risk reduction and environment.
- UNICEF financial, supply and administrative rules and regulations.
- Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming in UNICEF.
- UNICEF programme policy, procedures and guidelines in the Manual.
- Mid-Term Strategic Plan
- UNICEF Board endorsed policy papers and agency-wide programmes impacting on WASH results.
- Knowledge and proficiency in the use of corporate office computer system applications and software, including LAN, email, word processing, spreadsheet, database, telecommunications.
- Knowledge of global environmental issues that pertain to sustainable development and specifically relation to children and woman, and the current UNICEF position approaches.
- Gender equality and diversity awareness
* The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
* Please note that is a non-family duty station.
Employment is conditional upon receipt of medical clearance, any clearance required, the grant of a visa, and completion of any other pre-employment criteria that UNICEF may establish. Candidates may not be further considered or offers of employment may be withdrawn if these conditions are unlikely to be met before the date for commencement of service
Opening Date 3 Mar 2017 W. Central Africa Standard Time
Closing Date 13 Mar 2017 W. Central Africa Standard Time