The Environment and Natural Resources Division helps federal and state agencies address complex policy, management, and regulatory challenges. Our services include economic analysis, cost-benefit analysis, risk assessments, environmental modeling, regulatory and voluntary program support, and IT solutions. Our clients include the Environmental Protection Agency, Army Corps of Engineers, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the Department of Energy.
The Division of Health and Environment (DHE) is a trusted advisor to our clients in providing innovative, evidence-driven solutions that contribute to a healthier environment and the health and safety of individuals, families, and communities. We are market leaders in providing policy and regulatory support; advancing public health and clinical epidemiology; providing environmental science, natural resource management, and ecosystem restoration; shaping healthcare policy and health services delivery; responding to mental health and substance use disorders; and studying the criminal justice system. Our clients include: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Army Corps of Engineers, Centers for Disease Control, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Coast Guard, Department of Energy, Department of Justice, Department of Veterans Affairs, Environmental Protection Agency, Health Resources and Services Administration, National Institutes of Health, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, as well as other federal agencies, state and local governments, non-profit organizations, and select private sector entities.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Research Assistant to support the Division of Health and Environment Division in Bethesda, MD.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- The candidate(s) will support an interdisciplinary team conducting research in support of national-level environmental programs.
- The candidate(s) will carry out research, literature searches, and statistical and other quantitative analyses using databases and spreadsheets for projects encompassing one or more of the following topics: economic and policy analysis, industrial sector profiles, pollution prevention and environmental management programs, health and ecological risk assessment, outreach and training programs, and general environmental policy and program support.
- Duties may include accessing EPA regulatory and non-EPA databases; using statistical software and database software to profile specific industries, facilities, and geographic regions; developing cost estimates and analyzing trends; documenting methodology; and generating tables, charts, and maps to communicate results.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- The ideal candidate will have an outstanding academic record in economics or other relevant quantitatively oriented academic discipline. Additional coursework in, mathematics, quantitative methods, environmental policy, public and/or environmental health, or the physical and/or environmental sciences is desirable.
- Excellent oral and written communication and analytical skills are essential.
- Proficiency using Excel and Word is essential.
- The following experience (through employment or academic coursework) and skills are a plus:
- Research experience, especially in the fields of economics and regulatory policy.
- Research experience working with economic, environmental, and/or survey data.
- Proficiency using database software, such as Access.
- Proficiency using statistical software, such as SAS
- 0 – 1 years of experience with bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.