The Environment and Natural Resources Division helps federal and state agencies address complex policy, management, and regulatory challenges. Our services include economic analysis, cost-benefit analysis, risk assessments, environmental modeling, regulatory and voluntary program support, and IT solutions. Our clients include the Environmental Protection Agency, Army Corps of Engineers, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the Department of Energy.
The Division of Health and Environment (DHE) is a trusted advisor to our clients in providing innovative, evidence-driven solutions that contribute to a healthier environment and the health and safety of individuals, families, and communities. We are market leaders in providing policy and regulatory support; advancing public health and clinical epidemiology; providing environmental science, natural resource management, and ecosystem restoration; shaping healthcare policy and health services delivery; responding to mental health and substance use disorders; and studying the criminal justice system. Our clients include: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Army Corps of Engineers, Centers for Disease Control, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Coast Guard, Department of Energy, Department of Justice, Department of Veterans Affairs, Environmental Protection Agency, Health Resources and Services Administration, National Institutes of Health, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, as well as other federal agencies, state and local governments, non-profit organizations, and select private sector entities.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Research Assistant to support the Division of Health and Environment Division in Bethesda, MD.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- The candidate(s) will support an interdisciplinary team conducting research in support of national-level environmental programs.
- This is an ideal position for someone with strong science/engineering background who wishes to apply their knowledge to environmental policy issues.
- The candidate(s) will carry out research, literature searches, and statistical and other quantitative analyses using databases and spreadsheets for projects encompassing one or more of the following topics: pollution prevention and environmental management programs, health and ecological risk assessment, industrial process research, federal and state environmental programs, outreach and training programs, and general environmental policy support.
- The candidate(s) also will assist in the preparation of documents, options papers, web sites, and other materials for use by senior environmental managers and provide proposal and other broad project-related support.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- The ideal candidate will have an undergraduate degree in chemistry, biology, biochemistry, engineering or a related discipline, with a strong quantitative background, and an outstanding academic record.
- Excellent writing abilities, proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel and a strong interest in environmental issues are essential.
- Additional coursework in mathematics, economics, environmental policy, public and/or environmental health, or the physical and/or environmental sciences is advantageous.
- Knowledge (through employment or academic coursework) and skills in the following areas are highly desirable:
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and state and local environmental programs
- Proficiency with database software such as Access
- Proficiency with statistical software such as R
- 0 – 1 years of experience with bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.