The FUND for Lake George is a private, not-for-profit environmental organization dedicated to protecting the water quality and watershed of Lake George. As a highly skilled growth organization, The FUND harnesses the power of latest science to realize breakthrough solutions that are being viewed as models for threatened waters everywhere. The FUND’s Legacy Strategy fuses partnerships, innovations, and direct investments to produce the transforming energy, coherent purpose, and broad resolve required for enduring success. The FUND’s leadership role and pace-setting progress offers an outstanding opportunity for the right person to take the organization’s vital development operation to the next level of performance.
The Director of Development will be a key member of a dynamic team passionate about Lake George. Integral to The FUND’s strategic programming that leverages investments to accelerate progress, the Director of Development creates and implements cutting edge fundraising and communications in a high profile, high visibility environment.
As The FUND prepares to launch major new initiatives that build on its growing record of success, preference will be given to applicants with skills and a proven track record in cultivating major donors, creating/executing endowment and planned giving campaigns, integrating high impact marcom and digital media with fundraising, and who ideally have a personal passion for environmental conservation and the protection of Lake George and the Adirondacks.
Reporting to the Executive Director of The FUND, the Director of Development will ideate, create, and lead work in the following areas:
- Fundraising strategy including donor prospecting, cultivation, and solicitation (individuals and foundations)
- Development and implementation of endowment building campaign
- Establishment of a formal Planned Giving program
- Raiser’s Edge Database management and Target Analytics application and reporting
- Grant writing and reporting
- Oversight of marketing and communications plan with established media consultants
Key Working Relationships
The Director of Development will work closely with the following individuals and entities, and must be adept and skillful at relationship cultivation and management:
- FUND Executive Director
- FUND staff, including Lake George Waterkeeper
- FUND Chairman and full Board of Trustees
- FUND donors at all levels
- Media consultants
- Other LG Orgs: LGA, LGLC, LGPC
- Media: Lake George Mirror, Albany Times Union, Glens Falls Post Star, etc.
- Program partners including The Jefferson Project (IBM & RPI), The S.A.V.E. Lake George Partnership (local officials and other key regional leaders), and 1% for the Planet (regional businesses)
- 5-7 years minimum experience of leadership positions in Fundraising, Foundation Management, and/or Marketing/Business with a record of progressive achievement
- A strong familiarity and comfort working with individual donors and institutional (public and private) grant makers
- Proficiency in Blackbaud programs including Raiser’s Edge, Wealthpoint, and Target Analytics
- A strong interest in, if not outright passion for, Lake George, conservation and sustainability
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, from one-on-one meetings to formal presentations
- Demonstrated digital fluency
- A team player able to effectively collaborate and multi-task in a deadline-driven environment
- An innovator, capable of out-of-box thinking; a hands-on ‘doer’
- Flexibility, high energy, and positive “can do” outlook
- Strong financial skills, comfortable with budget development and reporting; solid project and ‘timeline/milestone’ management
- Ability to work fully “hands-on” in a high energy, highly collaborative small office environment
- A college degree (advanced degree preferred)
Commensurate with experience and demonstrated accomplishment, the target salary range is $55,000 – $85,000 with full employee benefits package.