This position supports instructional and disciplinary expertise in sustainability studies with a specialization in a social science such as sociology, anthropology, and/or environmental policy. This position supports a transdisciplinary approach to education with emphasis on human action, decision making, and social change. Teaching includes 21 course credits of a combination of social sciences, Environmental Citizen general education courses, and other courses as needed. Other duties include advising, professional development, and college service. This position supports the sustainability science framework embedded in the Unity College mission. Essential functions include:
- Deliver Sustainability studies, Social Science, General Education, Sociology, and other courses as assigned.
- Meet with students in an informal and formal advising capacity.
- Engage in scholarly work and contribute to faculty service needs as assigned.
- Serve on campus committees as appropriate given position responsibilities.
- Contribute to the college’s commitment to sustainability.
- Assume responsibility to maintain and upgrade professional knowledge and skills with regulations, industry trends, current practices, new developments, and applicable laws.
- Follow the college’s standards of conduct.
The qualified candidate will have a PhD degree in Sustainability Science, Sociology, Environmental Policy or related Social Science field by August 2017. Must have knowledge of analytical techniques used in the social sciences such as evidence-based advocacy, stakeholder analysis, focus group research and survey design, among other relevant skills. Preferred skills include mixed methods data analysis, communication across the curriculum, analysis of social movements, GIS, and/or second language instruction. Knowledge of experiential educational practices strongly preferred.
This position is for Fall Semester 2017-2018 calendar year; primarily works day shift with occasional evening hours as determined by course schedule. Responsibilities will focus on sustainability science courses. Must have a valid driver’s license and good driving record.
Qualified candidates should go to www.unity.edu to complete and application and submit any materials as we only accept applications on-line.
Application must include: a cover letter describing prior and potential contributions to diversity in the context of teaching, scholarship and service.
Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Statement of current and future scholarship
Statement of teaching experience and philosophy
Names and contact information for 3 professional references