About the Position
Water For People is an unconventional, progressive nonprofit organization that believes the global water and sanitation crisis can be solved with boldness, ambition, honesty, and transparency. We are looking for new ways to transform lives around the world through innovative approaches that lead to lasting and meaningful change.
Water For People is currently recruiting for the position of Sr. Manager, Monitoring and Evaluation to focus on making Water For People more transparent, expand the organization’s capacity for making data-driven decisions, and promote learning within the sector. The role will increase Water For People’s ability to embed monitoring in local, permanent institutions including governments and stay on the cutting edge of monitoring and evaluation theory and technology.
The Sr. Manager of Monitoring and Evaluation demonstrates trust and teamwork in all aspects of Water For People business; leads all aspects of our monitoring and evaluation program; provides exceptional internal and external leadership; and guides, supports, and communicates in an open and honest manner. This position is based at Water For People’s headquarters in Denver, Colorado.
Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, a Master’s degree or equivalent work experience, and at least 10 years of progressively responsible and relevant experience. Candidates must have professional level oral and written Spanish language skills. The successful applicant will have strong communication skills, demonstrated success working in multi-cultural settings, working with a diverse team comprising of business professionals, international staff, and water and sanitation technologists, and experience with qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
Essential Job Functions and Duties
Global Management – Lead implementation of monitoring and evaluation strategy and framework for achieving Water For People’s Everyone Forever goals for water. – Work with Senior Manager of Sanitation to develop and implement monitoring and evaluation program for achieving our Everyone Forever goals for sanitation. – Manage monitoring and evaluation team, which currently consists of one data professional who leads data processing and analysis at the global level. – Design monitoring methodology and instruments. – Design data collection tools institutionally related to all program work. – Manage relationship with Akvo, who owns the mobile phone technology called FLOW (Akvo FLOW).
– Collaborate with global program managers to develop and implement tools to support work in system finance, water resource management, and sustainable sanitation. – Collaborate with various partners including those with Agenda For Change to harmonize monitoring approaches across partners and governments. – Lead rollout and training of ArcGIS to expand monitoring program to include mapping and spatial analysis.
Country Report – Guide and support Country Programs with implementing all aspects of monitoring, including data collection and analysis.
– Train global staff on monitoring technology, methodology, instruments, and analysis. – Support Country Programs with embedding monitoring with local institutions, including governments. – Maintain monitoring and evaluation training materials and documentation. – Work with Information Technology department to manage and troubleshoot monitoring technology (Akvo FLOW, android phones) used in country.
Business Development – Support the development of funding proposals for specific research opportunities to enable innovation in monitoring, research, GIS, or evaluation of programmatic work. – Support to Business Development in developing tools needed to sell Everyone Forever. – Support country programs and grant managers in harmonizing specific grant requirements with Water For People’s monitoring framework.
External Communication – Consult on development of monitoring technology and features (Akvo FLOW). – Support the technical and programmatic development, roll out, and data ingestion for current and future versions of the EF Tracker. – Share monitoring best practices with other sector players.
Internal Reviews and Evaluation – Ensure the preparation of material covering areas of monitoring and evaluation in preparation for annual reflection workshops. – Develop institutional plans for external evaluation of programmatic progress towards Everyone and Forever goals.
- Set goals, priorities, and conduct performance reviews for direct report.
- Review and approve timesheets, time off requests, and monthly expense reports.
- Train data professionals, volunteers, and country program staff involved in any aspect of management of monitoring data.
- Follow organizational policies and ensure compliance.
Behaviors and Competencies
- Builds Teams and Talent – Attracts, engages, develops and rewards talented people to build individual and organizational capability needed to achieve desired impact.
- Uses Critical Thinking – Considers a broad range of internal and external factors when creating strategies and implementing plans. Has a broad perspective and sees possibilities and opportunities by thinking innovatively.
- Connects to the Mission – Has a genuine appreciation for the approach Water For People takes to develop high-quality drinking water and sanitation services, accessible to all, and sustained by strong communities, businesses, and governments.
- Demonstrates Ethics and Integrity – Understands ethical behavior and business practices, and ensures that own behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Manages through Ambiguity – Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in responding to change and ambiguity.
- Self-confident – Handles tough questions or critique in a professional manner assuming the best intentions; open to feedback and coaching.
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills Required
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible and relevant experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required. Master’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- Experience working in multi-cultural settings, working with a diverse team comprising of business professionals, international staff, and water and sanitation technologists.
- Oral and written Spanish language skills are required
- Experience managing programs – including scope, time and budget
- Experience with database management and design
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative data analysis
- Experience with field based research design and implementation
- Experience with mobile phone data collection technologies
- Experience with GIS mapping
- Highly numerate with an ability to interpret information
- Ability to influence through engagement rather than through direct authority
- Proficient in Word; Expert user of Excel
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral presentation
- Experience in external relationship management
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally to developing countries where travel is rugged up to 20% of the time.
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the position.
Contact and Further Information
If you are both qualified and Water For People interests you, please send us your resume and cover letter that introduces you to us, and provides insight into both your experiences and how you are the ideal candidate for this position. Also, please let us know how you heard about this position. Resumes and cover letters can be sent to [email protected]; please put the job title in the subject line. No phone calls or in-person inquiries, please.
Deadline for submitting your application is 5 pm MDT, Friday, March 10, 2017.
This is a full time, exempt position with a comprehensive benefits package. Salary is competitive and commensurate with level of experience.
Water For People cannot provide immigration sponsorship for this position.
Great perks of working at our office space which is located at I-25 and Broadway: – Free parking – Proximity to the Broadway light rail station – Food trucks outside the office daily – Dog-friendly workplace