MEDA invites applications for the post of Environment and Clean Technology Value Chain Specialist for the Jordan Valley Links project in Amman, Jordan. The successful candidate will ideally be able to assume duties in March/April 2017. MEDA is a non-governmental, not-for-profit organization registered in Canada and the United States. It was founded in 1953 by a small group of business people who saw the need to invest with, and provide support to, entrepreneurs and communities to help them take advantage of economic opportunities. MEDA’s work is founded on respectful interaction with communities, supporting women and youth to rise above the social and cultural barriers that stand in the way of success and improved livelihoods. To learn more about MEDA and our work, please visit www.meda.org.
The Environment and Clean Technology Value Chain Specialist serves as the Technical Lead for the integration of environmental sustainability considerations into all aspects of the Project. Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Country Project Director and the Deputy Project Director, the Specialist will lead the project staff and implementing partners in integrating the Project’s environmental strategy into project delivery, as well as ensuring outreach to community leaders, men, women and youth on environmental stewardship. The Specialist will provide technical and leadership support in developing the clean technology value chain, by designing value chain upgrade activities, and building capacity in local implementing partners, market actors, and clients. The Specialist will also provide guidance to other value chain staff on environmental management within the food processing and tourism sectors, in order to ensure economic growth does no harm to the natural environment. The individual will research and design activities for value chain development using best practices and sustainable private sector approaches.
The position is collaborative in nature, working closely with the project’s other advisors and specialists to address ongoing constraints to environmental sustainability and value chain development, surveying and identifying stakeholders able to act as early adopters, and thus effect value chain upgrades. Innovations include structural relationships between value chain participants, enhancing small scale infrastructure and technologies, and introducing or strengthening new products or services.
This position will be based in Amman and will involve frequent travel to project locations countrywide.
Specific responsibilities of the specialist include:
Environmental strategy implementation:
- Support the integration of the project’s environmental strategy across the design and implementation of all field level activities, including monitoring and evaluation on environmental progress and achievements;
- Monitoring of relevant environmental policies and laws in Jordan as they affect the project’s value chain entrepreneurs;
- Coordinating and/or implementing capacity building interventions on environmental sustainability programming capacity among project staff, local implementing partners and other project stakeholders, including identifying and selecting knowledgeable local experts to develop content and/or conduct training;
- Establish and build relationships with environment focal points at each of MEDA’s project partners as relevant to ensure environmental integration and reporting at the partner level;
- Work closely with MEDA’s HQ-based Environment Advisor to ensure successful implementation of the environmental strategy, monitoring and analysis of environmental results, and reporting as required;
- Ongoing monitoring and evaluation of environmental sustainability results in collaboration with M&E team;
- Identify and disseminate best practice examples of environmental sustainability mainstreaming amongst project staff, partners and other stakeholders; and
- Develop or revise periodic work plans and reports for environmental sustainability in close collaboration and consultation with the HQ-based Environment Advisor and project team.
Clean Technology Value Chain development:
- Lead and support value chain assessment and analysis on potential clean technologies for the Jordan Valley.
- Ongoing value chain constraints analysis, assessing threats, strengths, opportunities and threats to the value chain, and participating value chain clients;
- Provide technical advice and build core capacities of local implementing partners in developing innovative business services, new business partnerships, market-oriented business responses and effective market information systems in relation to the clean technology value chain;
- Develop new contacts with stakeholders, businesses, and institutions willing to partner and establish opportunities to leverage their activities to enhance the clean technology value chain; and
- Develop or revise periodic work plans and reports for the clean technology value chain in close collaboration and consultation with the team.
- Bachelor’s Degree in environmental sciences or management, rural development, natural resource management or a related field;
- Demonstrated experience in conducting environmental impact assessments and monitoring;
- Demonstrated experience in and/or knowledge of market systems/value chain programming; as an entrepreneur in the private sector; or in business development services;
- Demonstrated ability to build strong working relationships and mobilize stakeholders into partnerships and alliances;
- Experience in the design and provision of capacity building and training to colleagues and project partners;
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required;
- Applicants must be Jordanian Nationals. Knowledge of the clean technology sector in Jordan is desirable
To apply for this position, please send your resume (in English) and cover letter by e-mail to [email protected] with “ Environment and Clean Technology Value Chain Specialist” on the subject line.