GGGI has a diverse portfolio of programs in developing countries and emerging economies around the world, managing a diverse set of programs and projects focused on four key thematic areas of energy, green cities, water, and land-use, which hold significant potential in achieving green growth in developing countries. These in-country programs, together with global products and services, focus on delivering results through an integrated approach of evidence-based green growth planning and implementation aligned to countries’ development priorities. The organization also focuses on knowledge development activities which build a strong theoretical and empirical basis for green growth, and knowledge management and sharing activities that provide concrete options and guidance for policymakers, as well as help build the conditions for public and private green infrastructure investments.
The Office of Thought Leadership (TL) plays a critical part in supporting GGGI’s global, regional, and country-level programs and projects by:
- demonstrating GGGI’s leadership in evidence-based program planning and implementation, research, analysis, tools and methodologies, and knowledge dissemination, exchange, and cooperation;
- producing GGGI’s flagship and strategic knowledge products;
- conducting applied or policy research and analysis, and designing and disseminating analytical tools and methodologies;
- overseeing GGGI’s knowledge sharing (South-South cooperation) activities;
- leading climate diplomacy programs and activities;
- providing technical support to operational teams; and
- building and supporting partnerships with international development and academic institutions.
The Green Growth Knowledge Platform (GGKP) was launched to provide a platform for international organizations, practitioners, and experts to collaborate and coordinate on identifying and addressing knowledge gaps in green growth theory and practice, managing green growth knowledge resources at a global level, and sharing and disseminating green growth knowledge to support national-level project activities. It embodies a ground-breaking partnership launched by GGGI, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), and the World Bank, and which now includes more than 55 partners worldwide. GGGI and UNEP jointly host the GGKP Secretariat which implements the day-to-day activities of the platform.
GGGI plans to hire a focal person for knowledge management and partnership development to work as part of the GGKP Secretariat, and to contribute to GGGI’s thought leadership and knowledge management and sharing objectives.
Based in Seoul, the Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) is an intergovernmental organization founded to support and promote a model of economic growth known as “green growth,” which targets key aspects of economic performance such as poverty reduction and job creation, as well as social inclusion and environmental sustainability. GGGI works with countries around the world, building their capacity and working collaboratively on green growth policies that can impact the lives of millions. The organization partners with countries, multilateral institutions, government bodies, and the private sector to help build economies that achieve strong growth and are less carbon intensive, more resilient to climate change, and more efficient and sustainable in the use of natural resources.
The Senior Officer is expected to be passionate about building an extraordinary organization that continues to drive innovation in accelerating green growth in developing countries. Based in GGGI headquarters in Seoul, the Senior Officer will serve as part of the GGKP Secretariat coordinating the GGKP’s knowledge management and partnership engagement and expansion activities. S/he will also contribute to GGGI’s global and regional thought leadership and knowledge sharing programs.
The Senior Officer will work as a member of the GGKP Secretariat while part of the TL Office, and will be responsible for managing and delivering GGKP’s knowledge management and partnership engagement and expansion activities. S/he will play a key role in GGGI’s global and regional thought leadership and knowledge sharing programs that ultimately work to support GGGI country program delivery activities. This will include enabling GGGI country-focused teams and country stakeholders to more effectively access global GGKP knowledge resources on green growth, to share their own knowledge resources at an international level, and to utilize the GGKP platform and partnership network to promote and exchange thought leadership-oriented knowledge product. In addition, s/he will be responsible for implementing activities under the EU-funded Green Growth and Win-win Strategies for Sustainable Climate Action (GREEN-WIN) project, which involves supporting the GREEN-WIN website, outreach, and communications through the GGKP.
The Senior Officer shall report directly to the Head of the GGKP Secretariat (in Geneva) and work closely on a daily basis with other GGKP staff to support key GGKP knowledge management and partnership development functions. Within GGGI, the Senior Officer shall also report to the Head of Knowledge Sharing in the TL Office and work with other GGGI staff and external organizations to promote the engagement with the GGKP.
Knowledge Management: Maintain overall responsibility for the GGKP web platform, including both technical functionality and content, working in close coordination with relevant experts in GGGI and other partner organizations:
- Work closely with staff of the GGKP Secretariat and GGKP partners to gather, co-curate, and produce content for the GGKP web platform;
- Act as web master for the GGKP web platform and email domain, including working with web developers to manage, update, and implement major improvements to the platform as needed;
- Identify opportunities for increasing the effectiveness of knowledge management and knowledge sharing through innovative technological solutions;
- Gather regular user feedback, monitor the performance of the GGKP’s online activities (website, social media, and newsletter campaigns), and generate quarterly analytics reports;
- Manage preparation and production of GGKP reporting (e.g., impact reports; annual reports); and
- Support integrated knowledge management within GGKP and GGKP partners, including GGGI.
Partnership Development: Conduct engagement activities with the green growth community, particularly GGKP Knowledge Partners:
- Act as focal point for and manage ongoing communication with GGKP knowledge partners to ensure their active and ongoing engagement in GGKP activities;
- Serve as principal liaison with other knowledge platforms, including GGKP-affiliated programs;
- Promote expansion activities to new knowledge partners, particularly those located in developing countries and emerging economies;
- Ensure visibility of GGKP knowledge partners on the web platform, including through the promotion of their knowledge products and events; and
- Identify opportunities for increasing the effectiveness of partner engagement through innovative technological solutions.
General: General roles and responsibilities of the Senior Officer include:
- Facilitate knowledge sharing coordination and collaboration across the GGKP founding partners and with other Knowledge Partners.
- Collaborate with internal and external subject matter experts on the development and dissemination of flagship/core knowledge products;
- Help synthesize, codify, and disseminate experiences gained through country activities and engagement in international networks into elements of South-South cooperation programs, regional knowledge sharing programs, and national level capacity building activities;
- Effectively communicate and cooperate across GGGI divisions;
- Respond to occasional ad hoc requests from the Head of the GGKP Secretariat or Head of Knowledge Sharing.
REQUIREMENTS (recruitment purpose only)
- An advanced degree in a relevant subject (knowledge management, communications, international relations, economics, public policy, or other disciplines related to green growth and sustainable development)
- Minimum of 7 years of professional work experience with a public or private sector organization or its equivalent;
- Specific knowledge/experience including, but not limited to, an in-depth understanding of international development, knowledge management, communications, or partnership engagement;
- Experience developing and delivering effective knowledge management and knowledge sharing programs within and between organizations;
- Overall understanding of the concept of green growth in the context of developing countries and emerging economies; familiarity with one or more of GGGI’s four thematic areas or green investment would be a plus;
- Experience in project cycle management and effective means of communications preferred;
- Solid understanding of organizations and research institutions producing green growth knowledge;
- Experience of working in multi-country context and international setting
- Experience of managing and executing international workshops and conferences;
- Experience in establishing successful collaborative relationships and partnerships across different organizations; an existing network in the green growth and green economy field is strongly preferred;
- Ability to work in a virtual team operating across multiple locations;
- Exceptional written and oral communication and presentation skills; and
- Fluency in English; knowledge of another relevant language is an asset.
GGGI needs a person who can bring more than knowledge and passion to the role: someone who has the grit and resilience to do this work, and who is proactive, dynamic, with a proven track record of producing quality results with minimal supervision. The Senior Officer must be a skillful team member with an ability to interact within and beyond GGGI, a thoughtful communicator, a deep thinker, and a diplomatic change agent who understands the dynamics and tensions in this kind of diverse, global landscape. The individual should:
- Demonstrate a high level of expertise in relevant areas;
- Anticipate and provide necessary technical and content-based advice and guidance;
- Handle complex multi-stakeholder relationships;
- Be keen on maintaining a high degree of professional integrity;
- Be willing to travel internationally, be curious about new environments and new countries;
- Effectively communicate, listen to others, and create and promote an environment for open communication; and
- Work effectively with other teams of a high degree of cultural/professional diversity.