UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the United Nations system’s designated entity for addressing environmental issues at the global and regional level. Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action.
UNEP, in partnership with the Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI), serves as the joint host of the Green Growth Knowledge Platform (GGKP) Secretariat (www.greengrowthknowledge.org) on behalf of the GGKP founding organizations, including UNEP, GGGI, the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, and the World Bank. The GGKP is a global network of over 40 international organisations, research institutes, and think tanks focused on promoting a green economy transition by:
- identifying major knowledge gaps in green growth theory and practice and addressing these gaps by promoting collaboration and coordinated research; and
- using world-class knowledge management and communication tools to provide practitioners, policymakers, and other experts with opportunities to access, share, and utilize green growth policy analysis, guidance, information, and data.
A consultant is sought to contribute to the effectiveness and timeliness of the GGKP by providing communications and outreach support. The consultant will provide general website support, including timely and relevant updating of the news feed, events calendar, blog and resource library. They will ensure accurate updating of the GGKP contact list and events calendar and support growth of the GGKP community of practice through social media channels and the webinar series. The consultant will provide editing and layout support for GGKP working papers and reports. The consultant will establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts at all levels.
The objective of the consultancy is to assist the Green Growth Knowledge Platform in a wide range of communications and outreach tasks. The incumbent shall report to the Head of GGKP and be responsible for the following:
- Maintaining the GGKP online content calendar and that ensuring timely and relevant updates are made to the web platform;
- Drafting and posting news stories and event announcements to the GGKP web platform covering new developments in the field green growth and green economy;
- Tracking new publications in the field of green growth and green economy, and drafting short summaries of the publications for the GGKP’s research library;
- Drafting monthly Knowledge Update newsletters, providing readers with an overview of the newest research, events, courses and news available through the GGKP web platform;
- Assisting in the management of the GGKP blog, including reaching out to potential contributors and helping them develop posts, writing posts on topics of relevance to the GGKP, sourcing images, posting content and promoting new posts across the GGKP’s outreach channels;
- Providing support in the publication of GGKP working papers and reports, including layout, copy editing, publication and wide-reaching dissemination;
- Providing support in the general maintenance of the GGKP website, including updating partner pages, the learning database and research committee pages;
- Assisting in supporting the green growth community of practice through the GGKP LinkedIn and Twitter groups, including managing content, leading discussions and growing the user base, as well as other engagement techniques (e.g. Twitter Q&A, campaigns);
- Assisting in the planning, implementation and reporting on GGKP events, including collection and analysis of surveys to track GGKP key indicators;
- Tracking various knowledge sharing mechanisms, such as online knowledge sharing platforms, internal communication groups, topical conferences, etc., and report on key developments, news or events relevant to GGKP or it users;
- Assisting in the identification, design and implementation of new knowledge sharing processes and mechanisms for the GGKP, including those which capitalize on the GGKP’s web platform;
- Organising and facilitating the GGKP webinar series, including reaching out to potential speakers; proposing new ideas for webinars, and providing overall support to the successful running of the webinars;
- Maintaining the GGKP contact list and events calendar; and
- Assisting in other operational tasks as necessary.
- Respect for diversity
- Commitment to continuous learning
- Planning and organizing
- Client orientation
- Technological awareness
- Minimum advanced university degree (master’s or equivalent) in communications, public relations or any relevant field.
- A combination of a first university degree (bachelor’s or equivalent) with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.
Experience & Skills:
- Minimum 2 years of accumulated work experience in communications or public relations in an international organisation or public institution.
- Flexible team player and excellent coordination skills, with ability to work under pressure and handle multiple activities concurrently.
- Superior writing and editing abilities.
- Experience with online communications, including website content management systems (e.g. Drupal) and social media an asset.
- Experience with publication layout software (e.g. InDesign, Adobe Creative Suite) and copy editing an asset.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
Contract type: International ICA
Contract level: IICA 1
Contract duration: 6 months (July to December 2016)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.