Title: Consultant – UNHCR Energy and Environment Unit
Period: 01 April 2017 – 30 June 2017 (with possibility of extension)
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is committed to ensuring sustainable environmental management in its operations to improve the protection and wellbeing of its Persons of Concern (PoCs). The organization also seeks to support PoCs to remain resilient in the face of an ever-changing world. In this regard, the Environment Unit in Geneva oversees a broad range of programs that support enhancing environmental management in the field, developing science based projects, designing effective monitoring tools and providing guidance to field staff.
The expected consultant will help the Energy and Environment Unit cover on-going activities during a short-term gap in staffing resulting from internal contract regulations. She/he will support continuing processes related to Green Climate Fund (GCF) project development and the development of environmental indicators. Further, the consultant will work to review and update the environmental guidelines which seek to serve as a benchmark for environmental action in refugee operations – assisting government, partners and UNHCR field staff in better understanding and appreciating the need for careful and consistent approaches to environmental management.
Over the three months of the consultancy, the Consultant will:
- Support the review of the GCF Concept notes
- Review draft environmental indicators
- Review all environmental guidance materials published by UNHCR
- Identify gaps and update requirements in the current guidance materials
- Draft and outline new environmental guidelines
- Draft a roadmap for completion and validation of the environmental guidelines
- Any other duties as required by the Energy and Environment Unit
Expected Outputs and Deliverables
- Final report on the outline of the new environmental guidelines and a roadmap for its completion and validation
- Support to GCF project development and review of concept notes
- Support and review of on-going indicators related activities
End of consultancy, 30 June 2017
Consultancy fees on a monthly basis
Masters or equivalent level in an environmental related field
10 -11 years of experience with donor funded environmental program/projects in developing countries
Demonstrated experience in environmental work in humanitarian settings
Experience with assisting organizations in developing indicators or similar tools
Experience with assisting organizations in developing guidance materials
Excellent English verbal and drafting skills are essential
Applications should include the following:
- A cover letter (1 page) in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria.Concise and accurate CV (maximum 3 pages).
- The CV should include information about your qualification, relevant training courses, work experience, name and contact details of 3 relevant references.
The application should be sent to [email protected] and the subject line should read Consultant – UNHCR Environment Unit.
We thank applicants for their interest in the consultancy but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Deadline: 06 March 2017