Position: WASH Engineer
Direct Hierarchy: Head of Office_Baidoa
Contract duration: Six Months
Duty Location: Baidoa, Somalia
Starting Date: March 2017
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Their interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context. Their 3,300 staff is committed in to responding to emergencies worldwide, to supporting recovery and rehabilitation, towards sustainable development.
ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill the position of a WASH Engineer based in Baidoa, Somalia.
The WASH Engineer will work within Somalia and specifically in Baidoa and in its host communities with possible travel to needed areas. The main responsibilities will include working to design and improve the technical engineering implementation aspects of the ACTED’s WASH program in Bay Region managing areas of water and sanitation technology including designing, quantifying, specifying of boreholes, preparing contractual documents and managing them, managing geophysical studies, submersible and hand pump installation and repairs, submersible and hand pump repair and maintenance training, designing and constructing water distribution systems, pump testing, water quality testing, hand dug well construction, and/or latrine construction. The WASH Engineer will also be responsible in coordinating and leading any emergency relief situations involving WASH efforts, creating and drafting technical designs, and submitting regular reports on the work being completed.
· Assess needs for WASH interventions (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene facilities) at community level including Public schools and Health facilities.
· Ensure the project will satisfy the needs of the beneficiaries and provide oversight of water source construction and sanitation projects to ensure quality;
- Preparation of drawings (AutoCAD), BoQ/Cost Estimates and Tender documents for all WASH infrastructures
- Ensuring the training of national staff in technical areas including water quality testing, and building and maintaining quality water point structures;
- Help design and revise the construction/rehabilitation works component of the project work-plan, and monitor that the implementation of the construction/ rehabilitation activities respects the time-table milestones and deadlines
- Conduct trainings regarding operation and maintenance of water supply and sanitation facilities for beneficiaries and Water management committees
- Develop and maintain good relationships and lines of communication with relevant local authorities and communities, prior to intervention explaining ACTED’S role as an NGO and liaising with them during all phases of the project.
- Regular monitoring of ongoing construction activities to ensure that all the activities are executing as per design, specifications and work schedule
- Extend all possible technical support to other team members and contractors when and where required
- Keep close coordination with contractors through regular meetings
- Preparation of weekly, monthly work plans and construction progress reports
- Preparation of feasibility studies/ reports, borehole pumping tests analysis & reporting and completion certificates
- Verify the work done at site and recommend for the payments to contractor(s)/casual labors etc
- Working in harmony with all other project staff and field team for the effective and efficient day-to-day management of the WASH project in Baidoa.
- Coordinate with other stakeholders on the ground for smooth, efficient and effective implementation of the activities
· When need be, Represent ACTED in coordination meetings such as WASH cluster and other cluster meetings
- Updating and submission of 4W matrix to WASH manager on monthly basis, or when required
· With a generous and serving spirit perform all other tasks and responsibilities assigned for the benefit of ACTED
Qualifications / Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in either of water supply and sanitation engineering, hydraulic engineering, civil
Engineering or related field
· At least three years’ work experience in WASH and similar role;
· Proficient in Auto CAD, EPANET 2, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook;
· Excellent written and spoken English and Somali languages;
· Able to be diplomatic in communications with all NGO, governmental, and community partners;
· Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability in an ever changing environment;
· Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals;
· Ability to write routine reports and correspondence;
· Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions;
· Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram, form, and deal with several abstract and concrete variables;
Qualified persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications (most updated CV and cover letter) to [email protected] by or before 3rd March 2017 with the subject line clearly indicating the position you are applying for. Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments. If you receive any email/calls in relation to ACTED’s recruitment and you are unsure about its validity or origin, please contact us on [email protected]
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.