The Global Water Partnership (GWP) is an intergovernmental organisation established in 1996 to support countries in their efforts to implement a more equitable and sustainable management of their water resources. The network spans 13 regions with 2,400 institutional Partners in 158 countries. The global secretariat is in Stockholm, Sweden. More information: www.gwp.org. GWP Southern Africa (GWPSA) is one of the 13 regional water partnerships covering the countries of the SADC region.
GWPSA is the regional arm of the Global Water Partnership and was launched in June 2000. Over the years, GWPSA has grown rapidly into a regional network of over 350 Partner organizations concerned with water resources management. GWPSA Partners have formed a number of Country Water Partnerships (CWP) – 12 out of the 14 SADC countries now have their own CWP.
In addition to supporting governments in the Southern Africa region, GWPSA hosts the GWP Africa Coordination Unit (CU) for the Water, Climate and Development programme (WACDEP) and supports implementation of the global WACDEP, working closely with GWPO HQ.
Key Performance Areas
The Knowledge Management and Programme Officer will support the GWPSA secretariat and African Coordination Unit in development and implementation of a comprehensive knowledge management and research strategy. The officer will therefore lead the GWPSA/CU knowledge and research agenda and align it to the needs and priorities of GWPSA and the GWP Africa Coordination Unit. In addition, the officer will provide research, innovation and knowledge management support to the SADC Nexus project in southern Africa: “Fostering Water, Energy and Food Security Nexus Dialogue and Multi-Sector Investment in the SADC Region”.
The Officer will report to the Executive Secretary of GWPSA/Head of the Africa Coordination Unit (CU) and to the Senior Technical Advisor.
Qualifications and experience
- A Master’s of Science Degree but preferably a PhD in Water Resources related fields.
- Expert knowledge in water resources management and practical knowledge of water resources software models.
- At least seven years of relevant experience in water related research and a track record of publications.
- At least five years of working experience in Southern Africa.
- An understanding of water related issues in the SADC region. Demonstrable understanding of Nexus issues in SADC region is an added advantage.
- Knowledge management – experience in knowledge brokering.
- Experience in capacity development in environment, climate change and natural resources management
- An understanding of development financing issues is an added advantage
- Knowledge of English language is a must. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese is an added advantage.
Duration of the consultancy will be 2 years and the consultant will be based at Pretoria, South Africa.
Applications should be submitted to the GWPSA Executive Secretary Mr. Alex Simalabwai ([email protected]) and copied to Mr. Tendai Gandanzara ([email protected]) and Ms. Karen Gunter ([email protected]). Your application must include a one page motivation letter, copy of your curriculum vitae, including previous experience and project assignment related to this consultancy, together with a cover letter and the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees.
Closing date: March 05, 2017, 17:00 hrs Pretoria, South Africa local time.
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.