Senior WASH Officer
The Senior WASH Officer will be based at the Representative Office in Kampala, responsible for coordination and technical strategy and standard setting of the WASH sector responses in Uganda, including the responses of UNHCR and partners. The incumbent will report to the Senior Field Coordinator at RO Kampala.
– WASH services provided to refugee to UNHCR are based on UNHCR country and /or internationally recognised and most up-to date standards and policies.
– Sound technical support and advice are provided to country operation in the field of WASH.
– Viable monitoring and evaluation system are in place for data collection, analysis and interpretation to serve as evidence base for planning and interventions.
– UNHCR WASH programmes are implemented in coordinated approach in line with overall strategy.
– Gaps and overlaps in UNHCR funded WASH programmes and unmet needs are addressed, and the activities are oriented to address priority WASH issues.
– Ensure that national and/or internationally accepted and relevant standards and policies are applied and adapted in close coordination with the host country and relevant UN agencies and partners.
– Oversee the coordination and technical response strategy setting of the WASH sector response at all operational locations in Uganda, and function as the country level WASH sector (co-)lead.
– Manage and provide support to a multi-sector ¿technical unit¿ at RO Kampala, including sector functions covering site planning, shelter, health, nutrition, and environment.
– Ensure that required partner inclusive and good practice coordination structures for all technical sectors covered are in place, and that sector coordination functions at national and field level are in line with operational and partner requirements.
– (Co-) chair and facilitate national level WASH coordination.
– Provide technical advice and guidance for WASH emergency interventions at all operational locations.
– Provide support to sound project management by helping during design, BOQ, tender and contract awarding process as well as conducting joint technical field visits with partners and contractors.
– Provide timely technical support in the management and implementation of UNHCR WASH program.
– Review modelling, layout and profiles of designed system-reservoirs, transmission lines, pumping systems.
– Review calculations and specification of materials, labour and equipment for civil, mechanical and electric systems as well as hydrogeological and geophysical studies.
– Participate in the elaboration of the tender documents for the selection of construction companies.
– Participate in evaluating technical proposals against financial offers.
– Ensure adequate reporting, timely updates and briefings to donor and management.
– Regularly exchange information and best practices with relevant stakeholders, including key sectors of UNHCR i.e. Protection, Public Health, Program, Basic assistance, Shelter, Supply, etc.
– Provide technical inputs in developing ad hoc guidelines/framework/tools for monitoring WASH.
– Participate within the sector to the elaboration of Sector Strategy, SOP, guidelines, and concept notes.
– Promote and support training capacity building of partners and beneficiaries.
– Support efforts to strengthen the capacity of the national authorities and civil society.
– Enforce compliance with, and integrity of, all WASH standard operating procedures.
– Provide guidance and recommendations on WASH program for the Lebanon operation.
– Represent UNHCR’s in WASH meetings as well as in technical monitoring of activities.
– Decide priorities in the designing of implementation plan, in consultation with senior management and technical colleagues.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
– Advanced University degree in Hydraulics / Civil / Public Health / Environmental engineering.
– At least 10 years of working experience in the private engineering sector, consultancy or private and public water and waste water utility companies.
– A minimum of 3 years’ experience in humanitarian work in developing countries.
– Advanced knowledge and proven experience in applied civil engineering in water supply and waste water in urban and peri-urban contexts.
– Diplomacy and interpersonal skills; negotiation, liaison and representation skills.
– Ability to multi-task in a fast changing environment.
– Excellent knowledge of English (written / oral)
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
– Previous experience with UNHCR and/or an international humanitarian organization dealing with large scale emergencies or displaced/refugee situation directly relevant to the current position would be an asset.
– Knowledge of another UN language.