Job Number: 503083 | Vacancy Link
Location: Fiji (Pacific Islands) – MCP
Work Type : Consultancy
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Assignment
The consultant shall assess, review and/or develop a focused communication for development strategy, implement it in close collaboration with government, NGO partners, media and communities as well as carrying out necessary knowledge aptitude and practices (KAP) surveys and other sanitation and hygiene community approach tools to engage and create ownership for WASH interventions. This will include the development and dissemination of information and educational communication materials using engaging platforms for community engagement.
The consultant will carry out the following activities in support of these areas of work:
- Sanitation and Hygiene Communication Strategy (30%). Ensure a focused communication for development strategy for WASH inclusive of inputs and contribution from government, NGO partners, media and communities.
- Carry out desk review/mapping of existing WASH C4D strategies, related surveys and communication materials (content, implementation and results) as well as capacity assessment of key WASH C4D partners in Kiribati;
- Conduct capacity assessment of government, partners and communities to sustain communication for development initiatives;
- Collaborate with partners across sectors to ensure coherence on communication for development efforts; and to avoid duplication of C4D activities in communities;
- Carry out baseline survey, KAP studies as needed;
- Carry out training on community approach tools for behavior change and social norms
- Develop integrated WASH C4D Strategy in close consultation with key government counterparts and stakeholders
- Communication for Development best practices and information, education and communication materials (15%). Consultant will support development of communication for development materials for dissemination on all relevant platforms.
- Create and develop a compendium of high-quality communications materials (print, photography, videography, multimedia and online communication) suitable for use in fundraising, media and communications efforts
- Develop WASH C4D materials/media products in line with WASH C4D strategy
- Ensure that communication materials content and branding align with UNICEF communications branding and reflect child-friendly and gender-sensitive interviewing and communications techniques, as well as UNICEF’s commitment to inclusion of marginalised and vulnerable groups.
- Contribute to profile raising of WASH activities in Kiribati through dissemination and engagement on social media platforms and other initiatives by UNICEF or partners on social norms, behavior change around WASH. This is to be coordinated through the UNICEF Pacific Suva Communications T
- Communication for Development initiatives (50%) Consultant will work with key groups in communities to identify best practices and collaboratively, develop appropriate behavior change communication tools and advocacy/awareness activities.
- Engage in in-depth community consultations with target audiences (e.g. including focus group discussions, community meetings, etc) through regular field missions to engage directly with community members to identify best practices, norms, bottlenecks relative to the WASH C4D strategy objective. There is scope to review and amend the WASH C4D strategy based on any key findings from these community consultations if deemed necessary.
- Develop guidance and implementation tools for behavior change communication for different groups (tools for mothers, fathers, children, boys/girls) and key activities in close consultation with community members
- Pilot key activities and demonstrate scalability in selected communities and/or islands in Kiribati through comprehensive monitoring and reporting of C4D activities together with communities and key partners
- External Relations Support – as needed and approved by Supervisor. (5%)
- As needed and as feasible, to contribute to communications on external relations (i.e. supporting development of human interest and success stories to leverage partnerships and attention for WASH in Kiribati).
- Provide support as needed and feasible to other sections beyond WASH in Kiribati office to ensure WASH is covered in other communication as relevant and there is consistency in approaches particularly where other sections carry out work in same WASH communities (i.e. WASH in Health or in Education)
- Sanitation and Hygiene Communication Strategy 30% of contract time
- Communication for Development best practices and IEC materials 15% of contract time
- Communication for Development initiatives 50% of contract time
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- At minimum, a Post-graduate degree in Communications, Social Marketing or Health Promotion with emphasis on communication for behavioral and social change and development. Relevant degrees in social/behavioral sciences (Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, Health and Education) with emphasis on participatory communication, communication planning, social mobilization, participatory research, journalism, media production, training and impact evaluation of communication interventions will also be considered.
Years of relevant experience
- Five years’ work experience in communication for behavioural and social change, preferably with a focus on developing countries, including working with social development programmes.
- Must have at least two years’ experience working in international settings, with practical experience in the adaptation and application of communication methods and tools to specific programme objectives.
- Experience of working in the Pacific is preferable but not essential.
- Fluency in English
- Knowledge of local language is an asset
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Communication, Planning and Organizing, Drive for results, Applying technical expertise, Analyzing
A detailed copy of the TERM OF REFERENCE is attached. EXTERNAL WASH C4D Consultancy.docx
Interested candidates must complete the following documents to be considered
- Cover letter describing how you meet the requirements for this position
- Completed online consultant application form and most recent CV
- Copies of all academic transcripts and email and telephone contact nominated referees
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
If you are unable to retrieve the Terms of Reference – please forward an email to [email protected] for further assistance
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Opening Date 20 Feb 2017 Kamchatka Standard Time
Closing Date 3 Mar 2017 Kamchatka Standard Time