“UNDP partners with people at all levels of society to help build nations that can withstand crisis, and drive and sustain the kind of growth that improves the quality of life for everyone. On the ground in 177 countries and territories, UNDP offers global perspective and local insight to help empower lives and build resilient nations.”
UNDP Indonesia’s mission is to be an agent for change in the human and social development of Indonesia. We aim to be a bridge between Indonesia and all donors as well as a trusted partner to all stakeholders. We work in four key areas of development: Governance Reforms, Pro-Poor Policy Reforms, Conflict Prevention and Recovery, and Environment Management, with the overarching aim of reducing poverty in Indonesia. Besides the four priority areas, UNDP Indonesia is also engaged in a variety of crosscutting initiatives focused on HIV/AIDS, gender equality, and information and technology for development.”
Indonesia is at a crucial juncture in its development. Robust economic growth and poverty reduction have been accompanied by over-exploitation of natural resources and widespread environmental degradation. Environmental degradation has incalculable long-term economic impacts, and exacerbates inequality by threatening the livelihoods of poor and marginalized communities that derive incomes from local ecosystems. Indonesia is seeking to transition towards a more sustainable development pathway, and adopt policies and programmes that emphasise responsible use of natural resources. The country will need to find ways to stimulate resource efficiency in the economy, in particular through technology and innovation. Greater energy efficiency, more efficient traffic systems, energy efficient buildings and cities, more efficient use of water resources, better conservation of forests, coastal resources and bio-diversity and so forth will be needed. As Indonesia continues to grow and its middle or consuming class continues to expand, more pressure will be placed on the country’s natural resources and environment. This therefore requires comprehensive sustainable development strategies that prioritize climate change mitigation and adaption, use of renewable energies, energy and resource efficiency, and more sustainable production and consumption practices.
The Indonesian Government has taken a number of steps to move the country in this direction. Presidential Regulation No. 61/2011 put in place a National Action Plan on Greenhouse Gases Emissions Reduction (RAN-GRK) to back up Indonesia’s commitment to make voluntary reduction to its Greenhouse Gases Emissions by 26% against a business-as-usual scenario using domestic resources, and reaching up to 41% with international support by the year 2020. In parallel to the RAN-GRK, the Government of Indonesia also launched the RAN API which sets out a national adaptation action plan for the country in 2014. Other actions include a national moratorium on forests licenses and concessions, passage of Feed-In-Tariffs to provide incentives for investments in certain renewable energies, the establishment of the Indonesia Climate Change Trust Fund, and others.
In line with the government’s priorities, UNDP has been working with various line ministries to strengthen capacity of stakeholders at national and sub-national level to better plan and implement climate change related programmes. UNDP’s programme portfolio in climate change has been expanded and include projects on climate change mitigation (promoting inclusive market development for renewable energy, energy efficiency, access to energy), climate change adaptation, low emission capacity building and green economy and climate financing. UNDP has been working with GoI in climate change related initiatives including Transforming Market for renewable energy and energy efficiency with the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources; Sustainable Development Financing & Biodiversity Financing with the Ministry of Finance; Climate Adaptation and Disaster Risk Reduction project with Ministry of Environment and Forestry & BNPB; Low Emission Capacity Building project with Bappenas; and wind hybrid power generation project with BPPT.
In order to manage this programme portfolio and provide strategic policy and technical advisory support to the Government, UNDP Indonesia Country Office is seeking to recruit a qualified Technical analyst for Climate Change.
Under the supervision of the Head of Environment Unit, Technical analyst supports the development and management of the UNDP Climate Change portfolio. The main role is to provide technical guidance to project managers and other relevant stakeholders, forge new partnerships with development partners and the private sector to strengthen the climate change programme, while also managing the climate change programme including project assurance, providing technical assistance to projects when required and overall monitoring and other relevant operational issues. The Technical analyst supervise technical officer, project team and work in close collaboration with programme, operations in the CO, technical advisors, experts, Government officials, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society to successfully implement the UNDP programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Ensures implementation of programme strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of technical programmatic support to the development of relevant programme/project proposals in line with the overall UNDP support to Climate Change area, including all the necessary preparation such as consultations, liaising with the Government, facilitation of inputs from relevant advisors and consultants, legal documentation etc.
- Effective mapping, gap analysis on active development partners, donors, private sector actors in the field of CLIMATE CHANGE in Indonesia and timely identification of opportunities
- Provision of technical programmatic support to the development of the UNDP Environment Unit’s Climate Change programme portfolio through consultation with the Government, other donors, UN agencies and NGOs.
- Thorough analysis on contribution of project outputs toward achievement of outcome level results within the context of the political, social and economic situation in the country as well as provision of substantive inputs to CCA, UNPDF, CPD, CPAP, IWP, ROAR and other documents.
- Identification of areas for support and interventions within the outcome areas assigned and the need for outcome level revisions as necessary to maintain UNDP’s relevance within the context of the country’s development situation in close consultation with the outcome board,
- Identification of entry points capacity development and promote the inclusion of capacity development strategy as an integral part of programmes/projects implementation under his/her supervisions.
- Provision of technical support to the CO business processes mapping and preparation of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Results Management.
2. Management of the project/programme, including ensuring effective quality assurance and oversight, and application of Results Based Management across the portfolio focusing on the following results:
- Effective implementation of national and regional programmes and projects
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets and regular monitoring for achievement of outcome level results through the CPAP Review.
- High quality design and effective formulation of programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions.
- Effective coordination of programme implementation with the implementing partners. Introduction of performance indicators/ success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones.
- Timely initiation of a project including presentation of the project to PAC, entering project into Atlas, finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review.
- Effective financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects through (quarterly monitoring reports (QMRs) and Internal Project Assurance Report (IPAR) exercise,
- Accurate identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions.
- Active participation in audit of NEX projects.
- Effective follow up on audit recommendations and all exceptions are timely reported.
- Effective preparation of aggregate reports on activities, outputs and outcomes.
- Timely preparation of donor reports.
- Provision of substantive input and effective support to the initiation of a project, presentation of the project to PAC, entering project into Atlas ( in small PMUs), finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review.
3. Creation of strategic partnerships, provision of top quality policy advisory services to the Government and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy related to the specific high-priority projects, in cooperation with the Management Support and Business Development Team focusing on the following results :
- Established network and liaison functions with Government institutions, academic/research institutions, NGOs, UN organizations, civil society in the specific thematic areas and other development partners in order to coordinate the overall implementation of the Climate Change programme, to obtain possible cost-sharing/co-financing of programmes and projects in line with the strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
- Creation of strategic and innovative partnerships with key-development partners and the private sector for CLIMATE CHANGE programming at the UNDP Country Office in Indonesia;
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
- Effective liaison with other Technical analyst and Advisors to further strengthen strategic programme orientation and optimize programme relevance, strengthen coordination with key stakeholders, particularly development partners, private sector, and the government to identify opportunities for collaboration, formulate joint initiatives to maximize impacts and efficiency, and minimize duplication of efforts;
- Effective communication of the Climate Change programme in order to facilitate resource mobilization for CLIMATE CHANGE projects from various sources bilateral donors, the private sector; etc. in coordination with Communication team in CO
4. Provision of top quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Established annual workplan, including detail plans for procurement, recruitments and other country office support services in collaboration with the project management units,
- Effective support to the project management units in identifying the appropriate modalities for acquiring inputs for project activities (e.g. recruitment & procurement modalities)
- Provision of technical support to development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
5. Production and dissemination of lessons learnt across the portfolio and ensuring effective cross-project and cross-unit knowledge fertilization focusing on the following results :
- Identification on entry points for knowledge generations and knowledge sharing from project experience; and when appropriate to ensure contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to project and programme country policy goals
- Information sharing and facilitation of dialogue within the donor community by initiating and/or participating in consultative meetings that will address the issues and needs in collaboration with key partners.
- Establishment and expansion of advocacy networks which are linked to international networks and proposed for expansion of network to the Project Manager, thus relevant, high-impact advocacy campaigns are implemented with key partners.
- As focal point to inquiries relating to the Climate Change programme from UNDP Headquarters, UN agencies and others for information assistance, reporting, reviews, project briefs, etc. in coordination with Technical analyst
- Effective support to project staff in identification, documentation, drafting of best practices and lessons learned
- Effective support to the establishment of showcase to external stakeholders on progress made and impacts delivered
- Organization of training for the operations/ projects staff on various issues.
- Professional growth through active learning.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Strong leadership and managerial skill with track records of management roles in a team of multi-diversity background;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member, including Ability to transfer knowledge and motivate people and to build relationships with colleagues, partners, beneficiaries, government authorities, donor organizations and other stakeholders.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly
- Excellent written communication and analytical skill to synergize project financial delivery and support internal capacity;
Building Strategic Partnerships
Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Develops a database of project profiles. Identifies opportunities for project proposals for presentation to donors
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Strong aptitude on public administration and management of development project in the public sector;
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Identifies and takes advantage of opportunities for advocating for UNDP’s mandate
Establishing effective client relationships
- Maturity and confidence in dealing with senior and high ranking members of national and local institutions, government and non-government.
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
Required Skills and Experience
Master degree in environmental science, social science or other relevant fields of study.
- Minimum 3 years relevant experience in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments.
- Solid experience on analytical work, programme/project development in the areas of climate change.
- Working experience networking with the private sector, CSO, university will be highly desirable
- Fluency in written and spoken English is an absolute necessity;
- Fluency in written and spoken Bahasa Indonesia is required.
- Demonstrated strong familiarity with development projects and UNDP programmes in Indonesia.
- Strong knowledge of and experience in climate change programme is highly desirable.
- Excellent inter-personal and team building skills.
- Full time availability for project management duties is essential.
- Familiar with Government and UNDP procedures.
- Up-to-date computer skills required.
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, and handling of web based management systems will be advantage.
Good knowledge about rules, procedures of UN/UNDP will be highly desirable.