Social Impact (SI) is a Washington, DC-area international development management consulting firm. SI’s mission is to improve the effectiveness of international development programs in improving people’s lives. We provide a full range of management consulting, technical assistance, and training services to strengthen international development programs, organizations, and policies. We provide services globally in the areas of monitoring and evaluation, strategic planning, project and program design, organizational capacity building, and gender and social analysis. SI assistance cross-cuts all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. SI’s clients include US government agencies such as USAID, the Millennium Challenge Corporation, the Department of State, other bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and non-profit organizations.
The five-year $16.6 million Ethiopia Performance Monitoring and Evaluation Service (EPMES) activity aims to provide USAID/Ethiopia with project/activity external evaluation, performance monitoring and performance management support services in alignment with the USAID Automated Directives System (ADS) and Evaluation Policy. This contract will assist USAID/Ethiopia and its partners to generate empirical data on project/activity implementation as well as foster learning and knowledge management to improve evidence-based project design and development programming in support of the Country Development and Cooperation Strategy (CDCS). Specific services to be provided under this contract include implementation of external evaluations, as directed by the Mission’s Program Office and Development Objective Teams/Technical Offices; management and monitoring and evaluation (M&E) technical capacity building for implementing partners (IPs), select local organizations, and Mission staff on M&E best practices, data collection, data analysis and data quality assurance practices; support to technical offices to analyze geo-referenced data and produce maps with geographic information system (GIS) tools; and support to IPs and Mission staff for the ongoing use of the Agency’s portfolio management system(s), including AID tracker Plus (AT+), for active performance management. The expected results of this contract are to build internal and external M&E capacities of USAID staff and IPs to improve accountability and the use of empirical evidence for programming, learning and adapting at every stage of the project cycle.
Social Impact is seeking a Team Leader for this evaluation. The Team Leader will be an international consultant and will assume the overall technical and management responsibility for the final evaluation of community-based disaster risk management and reduction, and climate change adaptation task. The Team Leader will have substantial experience in designing and conducting evaluations in most or all dimensions of the project technical areas, i.e. community-based resilience, disaster risk reduction, climate change adaptation, participatory disaster risk assessment, natural resource management, early warning systems, and livelihoods in Ethiopia or similar developing countries.
The Team Leader will work under the SI/EPMES Activity and will manage a multi-disciplinary team of international and local experts who will conduct the final evaluation of a USAID-funded Community Managed Disaster Risk Reduction (CMDRR) Project. The CMDRR project has two awards: REAAP AID-663-A-14-00006 and REVIVE AID-663-A-14-00005. CMDRR Activity aims to sustainably increase resilience and reduce vulnerability of communities to current and future climate change and climate-related shocks and stresses in the most disaster-prone areas of Oromia region (West Harerghe and Bale Zones). This assignment will take place in the activity sites in Oromia Region. The expected period of performance is from January to March 2017.
- Master’s Degree or PhD with high-level coursework or professional continuing-education training in disaster risk management, climate change adaptation, statistics, project evaluation, or another field relevant to evaluation
- 10+ work experience with practical evaluation experience in Ethiopia and/or other African countries, and who has led at least two similar evaluation/studies. He/she will be responsible for overall management of the evaluation, including coordinating and packaging the deliverables as well as ensuring quality and timeliness.
- Strong knowledge of disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation indicators, and DRM policies and programs in Ethiopia
- Sound knowledge of USAID’s programs in Ethiopia
- Experience with conducting baseline and endline evaluations in climate change, food security, and livelihoods in Ethiopia or similar countries
- Previous experience with designing and implementing at least four large-scale household surveys with complex designs
- Strong background in quantitative and qualitative evaluation methods, including design, data analysis, and interpretation of results
- Strong team management skills, and sufficient experience with evaluation standards and practices
- Excellent organization and writing skills, and a demonstrated ability to deliver quality written products in English (e.g., evaluation reports and PowerPoint presentations);
- Excellent oral communication, presentation, and inter-personal skills
- Has the technical and management skills to manage budget resources (financial and personnel) for the study, as well as assist and support the team with field logistics, e.g., coordinating with USAID and/or a government ministry and project stakeholders to set up initial appointments for interviews
Applicants should indicate the technical areas of their expertise and the evaluation methods they are most experienced in (quantitative or qualitative).
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.