Purpose of Position
National Housing Trust (NHT) has an opening for an Sustainability Associate to assist National Housing Trust-Enterprise Development Corporation in the management of the organization’s affordable housing portfolio and advance its energy and water efficiency goals. NHT-Enterprise is an award winning non-profit housing developer that works to provide affordable housing for low and moderate income families and seniors. The organization owns and operates over 3,000 units of affordable housing along the East Coast. One of its many goals is to be a leader in sustainability and the greening of affordable housing.
In 2013 NHT-Enterprise signed onto the U.S. Department of Energy Better Buildings Challenge and made a commitment to cut energy and water usage across its portfolio by 20% by 2020. The Sustainability Associate will play a crucial role in improving the efficiency of property operations and assisting the organization in meeting its Better Building Challenge Goals.
Professional Qualifications & Responsibilities
Sustainability and the Better Buildings Challenge go hand in hand with optimal building management and operations. As a result, the Sustainability Associate will work closely with the NHT-Enterprise asset management and sustainability teams. In addition to a background in sustainability, those with knowledge of buildings and property management will have an advantage in the application process.
- Monitor energy and water usage across the NHT-Enterprise Portfolio utilizing Wegowise software.
- Perform energy & water upgrades, including:
- Work with consultants to survey properties and gather information for basic energy audits
- Develop retrofit project scopes to address findings of energy audits
- Hire and manage contractors
- Assemble financing to fund retrofit work
- Manage consultants and contractors
- Implement the NHT-Enterprise Green Operations & Maintenance Plan, focusing on Resident Education, Green Cleaning, Integrated Pest Management, Indoor Air Quality, and Recycling and Waste Management. Tasks include:
- Train residents and property management staff
- Review property operations contracts such as pest management, waste management, laundry, etc.
- Develop metrics to define progress such as calculating waste diversion rates
- Produce publications highlighting NHT-Enterprise sustainability accomplishments
- Research and apply for grants to support NHT-Enterprise sustainability work
- Other sustainability related special projects related to NHT-Enterprise portfolio and new projects
- Assist policy staff with sustainability research and grant writing
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Sustainability, Business, Construction Management, Engineering, Urban Planning, Economics, or related field
- 1-3 years of experience in finance, property management, sustainability, green building, energy efficiency, construction, or environmental management. Knowledge of buildings and property management is a major plus. If you have it, please highlight this experience in your correspondence.
- Ability to understand and analyze dynamic data sets
- Proficiency in MS Office, especially Excel
- Excellent problem solving and organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- A demonstrated interest in low-income communities