About FHI 360:
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Secretariat Director, Global Public-Private Partnership for Handwashing
The Global Public-Private Partnership for Handwashing, as it has been historically named and which is now the Global Handwashing Partnership, is a global partnership that promotes handwashing as a public health intervention to reduce illness and death due to diarrhea and pneumonia, especially in children under 5. Established in 2001, the Partnership advocates for handwashing among donors, governments, and other actors in the water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) sector. The Partnership also provides thought leadership by tracking and sharing best practices.
The Partnership currently seeks qualified candidates for the position of Secretariat Director in Washington, DC.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
- Provide programmatic management and financial oversight of the Partnership
- Lead strategy and workplan development and implementation for the Partnership
- Serve as primary relationship manager for 10 steering committee members
- Convene and facilitate biannual Steering Committee meetings
- Build relationships with companies and organizations as new potential members of the Partnership, demonstrating the value of participation in the Partnership
- Manage the Partnership budget, including partner cash and in-kind contributions
- Lead fundraising plans and efforts focused upon recruiting new Partnership members
- Represent the Partnership and give presentations on behalf of the Partnership at international conference and events
- Supervise the secretariat staff
- Manage all Partnership procurement efforts and consultants
- Network and engage new partners and potential funders
- Track the latest handwashing and WASH sector developments including new evidence, best practices, major handwashing program activities, and donor and government actions
- Lead planning for Global Handwashing Day, held each year on October 15
- Advocate for handwashing with key public and private stakeholders
- Plan and host technical discussions and events, such as the annual Handwashing Think Tank
- Represent the Partnership on relevant WASH-related committees and working groups, including the Sanitation and Water for All partnership, the Clean, Fed & Nurtured Community of Practice, the BabyWASH Coalition, and the WASH in Schools Network
- Deliver regular reports on Partnership progress to Steering Committee and mailing list
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Passionate about the health impact of handwashing
- Bachelor’s Degree or its international equivalent in Public Health or other related field. MS/MA preferred;
- Typically requires 5-8 years project management experience
- Highly prefer 10 years’ experience with program management and international development programs; Or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience sufficient to successfully perform the key responsibilities of the job;
- Experience working with a range of sectors within international development, with priority given to water, sanitation and hygiene; health; nutrition; and education.
- Experience developing or managing public-private partnerships or other partnerships preferred
- Experience working in private sector marketing roles desirable
- Experience managing donor funded projects
- Fundraising experience and track record
- Advocacy experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent Written and verbal English required; operational ability in other languages (particularly French) highly desirable
- Strong facilitation and presentation skills
- Relevant computer software skills required
- Demonstrated creativity and initiative
- Ability to work independently with initiative to manage high volume work flow and structure work of staff members
- Overseas field experience preferred.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package. Please click here to visit FHI 360’s Career Center for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran with respect to policies, programs, or activities.