Large-scale displacement took place during the wars of 1948 and 1967, when Israel occupied the West Bank, including East Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip. Many of those displaced have never been able to return. There are currently over 5 million Palestinian refugees spread across Palestine, as well as in Jordan, Lebanon and Syria.
Internal displacement within Palestine remains a concern. Communities come under increasing risk of forcible transfer and other Intentional Humanitarian Law violations, stemming from Israeli policies and practices.
NRC has been active in Palestine since 2009, working across Gaza and the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, to reach Palestinians who are displaced or who face imminent threats of displacement. Our offices in Jerusalem, Ramallah, Hebron and Gaza, provide legal counselling to promote access to human rights, shelter, water and sanitation, and quality education. Nationally and globally, we advocate for the rights of displaced Palestinians and together with local authorities and community-based organization’s, we establish mechanisms for monitoring the needs of displaced Palestinians, and promoting community-owned solutions.
Role Specific Information
- Develop Shelter/WASH strategy, technical SOPs / guidelines and Macro LFAs
- Compliance and adherence to NRC policies, CC tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Responsible of development and manage funding proposal, project budgets and donor reports
- Overall management of project staff
- Coordinate and manage Shelter/WASH project implementation (activities, budget and project documentation) in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Liaison and collaborate with relevant local and national authorities and stakeholders and represent NRC in relevant forums/cluster/working groups.
- Promote the rights of beneficiaries in line with the advocacy strategy
- Other tasks as required by management.
Our Ideal Candidate:
We are seeking a candidate who has minimum 3 years’ experience from working in a level project implementation position in a humanitarian/recovery context, with technical Shelter/WASH expertise and/or relevant and sufficient practical experience in Shelter/WASH.
A committed person who is interested in the humanitarian work in a hardship place. Strong and mature manager to lead a team of competent staff in Gaza office, ability to work very well under pressure under movement restrictions, and handling high work load.
Someone who has strategy and vison, and innovative new ideas to improve the quality of our Shelter and WASH Programme in Gaza in a complex and sensitive situation.
Someone who enjoys working and interacting with different people, and has influence, diplomacy, and team spirit to bring the team together, and keep them motivated.
Knowledge of the Palestinian context is an advantage.
Contract period: 12 months
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Gaza, Palestine with up to 10% travel.
Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities.
NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NB: Please enter the geographical location in the “Company name” field for both company and location on your application.
For more jobs follow us on Twitter @nrc_jobs