Reporting to the Group Head: Risk & Sustainability, the Group Sustainability Manager will work with the Group and Functional Executives to create and execute a Group Sustainability strategy. This role will be at the forefront of leading the strategic direction in an area which is of increasing importance to key stakeholders, both internal and external and will involve establishing sustainability data and content collection and validation processes and strengthening the framework around sustainability reporting innovation, target setting, risk management, process setting, and reporting communications at Aspen. The role will focus on maturing Aspen’s response to climate change and other environmental risks as well as drive the Group’s BBBEE performance. The role requires collaborating across Functional Areas and Business Units.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
Develop a Sustainability vision, strategy, policies and framework for the Group
- Develop the Group Sustainability vision, strategy and related policies and position statements, working closely with colleagues in Group functions and all business units.
- Develop and implement a Sustainability Management Framework (including governance structure) to enable the effective delivery of the Group sustainability strategy.
- Achieve alignment to relevant frameworks, compliance requirements and best practice/reporting frameworks (such as <IR>, GRI, SASB, TCFD)
- Develop the programme of work to deliver the strategy/targets and supporting roadmap detailing work/actions required
- Establish and lead Sustainability Working Groups in the development of strategy, policies, positions and action plans to ensure alignment of sustainability strategy and adoption of sustainability best practices across the organization.
- Conduct periodic sustainability materiality assessments with internal and external stakeholders to determine the key sustainability topics for the Group, monitor the continued relevance and materiality of sustainability indicators.
- Co-ordinate with internal and external partners who are experts in environmental, social and governance to develop best practice and continually refine and improve the sustainability strategy and reporting process.
- Maintain awareness of evolving stakeholder requirements, global sustainability and ESG trends and tools, metrics and KPI’s and share updates and implications with the broader sustainability team and beyond, establishing a cycle of continuous improvement
- Perform research to routinely benchmark Aspen relative to our industry competitors on sustainability performance.
- Participate in appropriate sustainability stakeholder engagements, roundtables, forums and strategic conferences
Develop the Group environmental strategy
- Develop the Group environmental sustainability strategy and related goals and targets relating to climate and energy, water stewardship and waste (circular economy); develop programmes and initiatives to help achieve goals and establish the correct KPIs to measure performance against goals.
- Perform scenario and environmental risk assessment and analyses to inform environmental sustainability strategies and identify opportunities for the most meaningful environmental strategies.
- In collaboration with Group Risk, actively manage the climate-related risks (physical, transition and liability risks) and opportunities across the Group to embed appropriate alignment to global best practices including, inter alia, the Taskforce on Climate-related Financial Disclosure (TCFD)
- In collaboration with business unit and functional leaders, develop road maps for each business to attain the environmental goals in support of the Group’s sustainability strategy and metrics.
- Establish a framework for the compilation and evaluation of CAPEX project investment proposals related to environmental strategies.
- Build capability on requirements of greenhouse gas emissions, methodology on Science Based Targets and calculations of carbon footprints across supply chain (scope 1, 2 and 3), life cycle assessment (LCA) studies of various ingredients and packaging materials to establish their carbon footprint.
- In respect of environmental aspects, engage with external organisations and industry peers to understand and share best practice and ensure our participation in relevant industry-wide initiatives.
- Compile the responses of the Group’s CDP submissions for climate change and water stewardship on an annual basis
Embed the Group Sustainability Strategy
- Support business units in developing Sustainability plans, KPIs and quarterly reporting templates aligned to Group Sustainability Strategy, Framework and Policies.
- Build strategic cross-functional and cross-organizational partnerships internally to improve processes and develop innovative solutions together.
- Serve as subject matter expert and change agent in sustainability and ESG strategy and reporting for the Group. Provide internal advisory services to businesses and functions on how emerging sustainability issues and opportunities impact their bottom line.
- Develop the capability of sustainability champions from business units in sustainability topics including environment management, climate, and carbon. This will include building capability on the requirements of greenhouse gas emissions, methodology on Science Based Targets, calculations of carbon footprints across supply chain (scope 1, 2 and 3), requirements of reporting, new technologies in field of renewable energy and energy resource efficiency.
- Advise management in approaches to improve environmental performance, risk management/reduction programs and implement control techniques.
Develop and implement a responsible supply chain approach and framework
- In collaboration with relevant Group functions and business unit representatives, develop and implement a responsible sourcing/procurement policy, framework and programme for the Group that is aligned with good practice and stakeholder expectations
- Keep abreast of important trends in the sourcing of sustainable materials and help champion new approaches to strategic sourcing
- Understand the industry landscape to identify critical competitive needs and actively contribute to shaping the supply chain strategy.
Develop a strategic and integrated approach to achieve and maintain BBBEE performance and scorecard
- In collaboration with relevant functional leads and operating companies, compile a consolidated strategy for BBBEE performance aligned to corporate goals and aspirations
- Develop a BBBEE policy and implementation framework
- Implement processes to forecast, track and monitor the company’s BBBEE scorecard
- Lead and facilitate periodic BBBEE committee meetings with scorecard element owners
- Obtain technical advice regarding matters of interpretation, calculating a ‘current state’ scorecard vs. a ‘future state’ scorecard.
- Identify potential risks to BBBEE scorecard performance and ensure appropriate mitigating actions are implemented
- Drive the implementation of the preferential procurement and Enterprise and Supplier Development initiatives aimed at maximizing the BBBEE scorecard points
- Develop a policy and approach for the receipt, evaluation, awarding, administration and monitoring of enterprise and supplier development loans
- Develop assurance approach on the BBBEE scorecard and coordinate external assurance activities including the appointment of industry-leading rating agencies who have the SANAS accreditation
Deliver sustainability digitisation and process improvement
- Develop and implement processes and systems for the effective and efficient collection, organization and verification of all sustainability and ESG data
- Develop, align and define the sustainability key performance indicators and additional metrics that are aligned to established sustainability reporting standards and frameworks
Deliver sustainability reporting and ESG positioning
- Develop dashboards and feedback mechanisms to track and report on the progress against the Sustainability strategy roadmap, goals, targets and related KPIs.
- Take ownership and ensure timely response to requests for sustainability and ESG related data from customers, ESG rating agencies, voluntary frameworks, UN Global Compact and support the business units in responding to site level requests.
- Enhance the Group’s Sustainability / ESG performance across various platforms/indexes/ratings agencies through gap assessments, intervention development and continuous performance tracking.
- In collaboration with Investor Relations and the Communications team, develop a sustainability and ESG internal and external communication and reporting strategy, including sustainability positioning on the Aspen website and internal intranet
- Serve as project manager for the development of the sustainability and ESG related content of the integrated report, working closely with subject matter experts across the Group, ensuring reporting aligns with relevant frameworks and standards.
- Prepare Executive, Board Committee and Board papers in relation to sustainability and ESG
- Prepare the Board KPI report on a quarterly basis
- Represent the Aspen Group in sustainable development, climate change and various green initiatives with national / accredited bodies and policy makers in order to provide insight / influence decisions applicable to the pharmaceutical business.
- Develop the combined assurance plan for material key performance indicators and ensure the appointment of appropriate assurance providers.
- Coordinate the relevant assurance activities and follow up on gaps or areas for improvement identified.
Financial and human resource management
- Responsible for managing, supervising and developing direct reports and developing appropriate succession plans
- Develop and effectively manage sustainability initiatives budget and spend
- Procurement of suitable external consultants and software tools as may be required to effectively deliver the required outputs and outcomes
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of 3 to 4-year tertiary degree in accounting, environmental sciences, engineering, business
- Post graduate degree is advantageous
- Professional registration in relevant field
- At least 7 years management experience within the fields of Sustainability, ESG, Environmental Sustainability
- Experience in sustainability strategy development and reporting frameworks
- Extensive technical knowledge of environmental management, climate change strategies and resource conservation initiatives
- Exposure to multinational environment and implementation of Group strategy into business units
- Sustainability and integrated reporting
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- A passion for sustainability and the ability to champion and drive change
- Ability to think independently and strategically, link sustainability objectives to overall corporate strategy
- Communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to influence strategically and persuade tactfully, to obtain desired outcomes while maintaining effective, positive, organizational relationships
- Ability to work collaboratively and foster positive relations across functional areas within the business
- Exceptional organisational and attention to detail
- Able to withstand pressure
- Financial and analytical skills and business acumen
- Effective project management to achieve deadlines
- Extensive technical knowledge of environmental management, climate change strategies and resource conservation initiatives
- Sustainability, environmental and integrated reporting standards and frameworks
- BBBEE Codes
- Strategic planning
- Global thinking
- Entrepreneurial thinking
- Business analysis and financial skills
- Problem-solving and good judgment
- Responsibility & Accountability
- Team player
- Value people
- Cross-cultural skills
- Team management
- Coaching and counseling
- Employee selection & on-boarding
- Flexibility and tolerance for ambiguity
- Transition management
- Networking skills
- Organisational awareness
- Influence skills
- Understand Aspen story
- Aspen knowledge
- High standards
- Technical / professional knowledge
- Industry knowledge
- Personal responsibility
- Ethical conduct
Aspen is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity. Preference will be given to applicants from designated groups through a fair recruitment and selection process in line with Aspen’s Transformation Agenda.
Internal Applicants must inform their direct line managers of their application. Applications must be completed using an Aspen email address.