About Clean the World Foundation (CTWF): CTWF is a leading global health organization dedicated to achieving universal access to water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) for vulnerable populations globally. The organization operates seven program areas (WASH Infrastructure & Education; Menstrual Hygiene; WASH Microfinancing; WASH Emergency Response; Mobile Showers; WASH Stations for People Experiencing Homelessness; and Water Stewardship Grants) across both sustainable development and humanitarian aid sectors, with team members and programmatic operations spanning the globe. CTWF is an independent nonprofit organization that works closely with and is part of the broader Clean the World social enterprise. For more information, visit: www.cleantheworldfoundation.org
About the Position: CTWF is looking for a visionary leader with extensive experience in the global health, international development, humanitarian aid, and/or WASH sectors to help lead the organization into the next chapter of its work. The individual must be adaptive and innovative, a great networker and communicator, with deep knowledge of NGO best practices, extensive relationships throughout the sector, a global perspective, and flexibility to lead a nonprofit organization that sits within a nontraditional social enterprise environment. (CTWF operates alongside Clean the World Ventures, a for-profit benefit corporation led by the founder and board chair – see www.cleantheworld.org.)
The Executive Director serves as the head of Clean the World Foundation and is responsible for leading and overseeing all aspects and activities of the organization, including planning, finance, administration, programs, and fundraising/development. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will manage and mentor a team of direct reports and will be a key member of the Clean the World enterprise leadership team.
Location: Negotiable, with preference for Washington, DC, New York, NY, or Orlando, FL.
Compensation: A competitive remuneration package including generous PTO, insurance, and base compensation in the range of $175,000 per year.
Finance & Administration
- Lead and oversee all planning, including strategic and annual operating plans, to include key performance metrics and mechanisms for progress measurement and reporting.
- Lead and manage the Foundation team, providing coaching and clear instruction to ensure all divisions and staff achieve goals and objectives and adhere to organizational culture and standards.
- Work with the finance department and the senior management team to establish annual budgets and monitor monthly progress to improve performance as necessary to achieve annual goals and objectives.
- Work with the legal department to ensure the Foundation maintains necessary legal compliance in all areas, and to address contractual/staffing issues, as necessary.
- Work with the HR department to ensure all Foundation staff comply with all appropriate company policies and procedures, and to address vacancies and staffing issues to maintain optimal organizational performance.
- With the Board Chair, lead quarterly board meetings, and work with the board of directors, committees, and individual members to ensure effective and efficient board operations, effective governance, compliance with all legal/reporting requirements, and achievement of individual member performance goals.
- Serve as ex-officio member of all board committees and ensure that each committee has clear objectives and meets as needed to fulfill those objectives.
- Represent the Foundation at regular enterprise leadership team meetings and to the broader CTW social enterprise, as appropriate.
- With the director of development, oversee the annual development planning process, including goals, benchmarks, and reporting requirements, and work with the development team and board of directors to ensure those objectives are achieved.
- Lead and coach the development team to achieve quarterly and annual goals, and work to improve performance, as necessary.
- Personally manage a portfolio of major individual, corporate, and foundation donors, and achieve associated goals in those areas.
- Work with the development team to cultivate and solicit donations from individuals, corporations, and foundations around the world.
- Report on progress regularly to the enterprise leadership team and board of directors.
- Speak at public events, conferences, and appropriate engagements to raise awareness of and support for the Foundation and its programs.
- Represent CTWF at leading global events, including the United Nations Global WASH Cluster, WHO, UN, and other significant events as appropriate.
Programs & Operations
- With the director of programs, lead and oversee the annual operational planning process, including programmatic goals and objectives and reporting mechanisms.
- Manage and coach the programs team to ensure achievement of quarterly and annual operating goals and improve performance as necessary.
- Work with the Foundation leadership team, the board of directors, and partners to continuously improve operations and identify opportunities for new and innovative programs to further enhance and expand the work of CTWF globally.
- Report on program progress to the enterprise leadership team and the board of directors regularly.
Marketing & Communications
- Work with the Marketing team to ensure effective communications and marketing strategies are in place and on track, including newsletters, donor communications, social media, website, and more.
- Ensure the Foundation has all marketing/communications tools necessary to achieve all programmatic and fundraising goals/objectives.
- Lead and oversee all cause marketing relationships, ensuring client satisfaction and revenue goals are maintained as expected.
Required Skills & Experience
- Master’s Degree in management, global health, or similarly relevant areas.
- At least 10-15 years of experience in a leadership role, preferably in a global nonprofit setting.
- Familiarity with global nonprofit management and best practices.
- Familiarity with the global health/WASH sector and its relevant communities and funders.
- Familiarity with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Public speaking skills and experience.
- Ability and willingness to travel 15-20% or more.
Please send expressions of interest and referrals to Sam Stephens, Board Member, at [email protected]. Applicants are asked to submit a resume along with a cover letter detailing how their skills and experience meet the needs of this opportunity.