- An excellent opportunity to join one of Oxfam’s leading regional programs
- Fixed term – up to 2 years
- Mekong Region based
Oxfam works globally to find practical, innovative ways for people to defend their rights and lift themselves out of poverty and thrive. We save lives and help rebuild livelihoods when crisis strikes. And we campaign so that the voices of the poor influence the local and global decisions that affect them.
Mekong Regional Water Governance Program
Oxfam’s Mekong Regional Water Governance Program focuses on the greater Mekong and addresses one of the most sensitive development issues in the region, namely how decisions on water and its use are made. The program aims to increase the number of women and men in farmer and fisher communities who have realised their rights to secure and sustainable livelihoods and is implemented by country teams and partners and a small team at regional level. The objectives are:
a) More women and men in rural communities of the Mekong Watershed and Salween river basin are able to realise their rights to secure and sustainable livelihoods through increased knowledge and understanding of how to protect their rights;
b) Affected communities and local organisations will be linked and networked across the region, with coordinated influence on the developers and financiers who operate at a regional and international level; and
c) Governments, financial institutions, and private sector developers will respond to civil society calls for more accountability by increasing dialogue space, implementing international standards and safeguards and emerging evidence demonstrates this is leading to more equitable development
It is anticipated Oxfam’s portfolio of water governance work will increase in the Asia region in the next months and our ambition is to link Asia work at a global level.
The Advisor will provide technical support to water governance programs and business development opportunities and liaise with key stakeholders across the confederation. He/she will play a key role in the development of agency strategy relating to water governance programming, provide coaching on technical issues and coordinate implementation across the agency to oversee cross agency learning to draw on research, improve our practice and influence the work of others.
You will have…
- Extensive knowledge and experience of natural resource management, environmental and social impact and in particular water governance.
- Strong knowledge and experience of working with stakeholders with different levels of understanding and context and a proven ability to communicate complex issues effectively.
- Strong analytical and strategic skills and experience working in multi-stakeholder, complex environments
- Demonstrated ability to develop and represent Oxfam’s policy positions to high level fora including international bodies (governmental and academic), finance institutions and Oxfam teams
- Demonstrated experience in promoting gender and social equity in programs and policies
We can offer you…
- The remuneration and benefits package for this position will be competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- The opportunity to match your career to a compelling cause
- The chance to meet and work with people who are some of the best in their fields
- To apply, please submit your CV, cover letter and a response addressing the required selection criteria outlined above in this ad.
- Any queries related to the job description or context, please contact Pauline Taylor McKeown – [email protected]
- Appointment to this position will require a satisfactory clearance of a police check
We promote diversity and practice equity. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are encouraged to apply.
Oxfam Australia is committed to the safeguarding of children and young people.
To apply for this position, please click the ‘Apply Online’ button below. For enquiries relating to this position, please contact
Pauline Taylor McKeown via [email protected]