FHI 360 is harnessing its four decades of development experience to provide humanitarian assistance in crisis-affected countries. FHI 360’s Crisis Response Team (CRT) meets the urgent needs of people whose lives are jeopardized by conflict, disaster or displacement. FHI 360’s Crisis Response Team is looking to expand operations and technical programming in Cabo Delgado, Mozambique to respond to the current crisis. FHI 360 is responding to the crisis by intervening in the health, nutrition, WASH, and protection sectors.
Scope of Work
In this particular context, the Crisis Response Team requires the services of a highly skilled WASH Consultant to support HQ staff CRT by implementing a WASH program during the initial start-up phase in Cabo Delgado, Mozambique. The Emergency WASH Consultant will engage with cluster leads, government of Mozambique officials, WASH facility-based personnel and other NGO partners to discuss the pressing needs and challenges of the impacted area. The consultant will lead WASH start-up activities with respect to sector specific best practices, barriers to access, and potential for innovative interventions to implement a fully integrated WASH program. The consultant must also have a strong background in humanitarian programming and experience with rapid startups.
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities:
· Lead the team’s efforts in the WASH sector during the startup and implementation phase, ensuring the programming design meets the technical standards
· Implement WASH activities and provide technical guidance on appropriate emergency activities and devise sector-specific response strategies focusing on promoting hygiene practices, increasing access to water and improving sanitation facilities.
· Assess community infrastructure and service-provider capabilities, identify support needs and gaps.
· Develop partnerships with local service providers, implementing partners, and local government entities as well as attend WASH cluster meetings.
· Work with operation staff to ensure commodities are procured, handled, and managed properly.
· Work with technical and management coordinators of FHI 360’s Crisis Response team in identifying needs; target locations, supply chain routes, actors and mechanisms to ensure time-critical assistance is delivered to affected people.
· Lead the start-up of WASH related activities in the areas of intervention**
· Implement programmatic strategy for the WASH sector**
Location of Work
Cabo Delgado, Mozambique
Important Note: Applicant should research COVID-19 measures and the associated risks of this location before submitting an application.
Level of Effort: 3 months with possible extension
Period of Engagement: Mid-June to Mid-September 2021
Travel and accommodations are provided
Timetable and Address for Submission
Applications must be prepared in English and delivered electronically by 14 June 2021, 11:59PM EDT. Please send by email to [email protected] with subject line “Emergency WASH Consultant – Crisis Response”.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent, in Social Sciences, Public Health and International Development is required; Master’s is strongly preferred
- 5 – 8 years of professional work experience in managing humanitarian response initiatives
- Experience establishing startup operations/projects in new countries highly preferred
- Skilled in developing responsive, evidence-based program designs
- Demonstratable experience designing and leading WASH technical assessments using appropriate methodologies; strong background in monitoring and evaluation preferred
- Experience coordinating complex programs with the UN cluster/sector system, experience as a cluster co-lead is preferred
Prior experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency or related industry experience
Sensitivity to cultural diversity and understanding of the political, contextual, and ethical issues in assigned area
Fluency in verbal and written English required, fluency in Portuguese is seen as an asset
Proposals will be evaluated in accordance with the following criteria:
- Knowledge of standard WASH approaches and best practices
- Expertise in humanitarian programming and implementation
- Consultancy experience with similar organizations
Proposals must include the following components:
- Current CV
- Cover letter (max one page) summarizing experience
Name and contract details of two professional references
Your consulting daily rate. Please note that rate should be all inclusive; no separate hazard pay or daily allowance will be provided.
FHI 360 Disclaimers
· FHI 360 may perform a background check on any selected Consultant candidates.
· FHI 360 may cancel the solicitation and not award
· FHI 360 may reject any or all responses received
· Issuance of the solicitation does not constitute an award commitment by FHI 360
· FHI 360 reserves the right to disqualify any offer based on failure of the offeror to follow solicitation instructions
· FHI 360 will not compensate any offeror for responding to solicitation
· FHI 360 reserves the right to issue award based on initial evaluation of offers without further discussion
· FHI 360 may choose to award only part of the activities in the solicitation, or issue multiple awards based on the solicitation activities
· FHI 360 reserves the right to waive minor proposal deficiencies that can be corrected prior to award determination to promote competition**
How to apply
Applications must be prepared in English and delivered electronically by 14 June 2021, 11:59PM EDT. Please send by email to [email protected] with subject line “Emergency WASH Consultant – Crisis Response”. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.