The Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions (DJPR) was established to ensure Victoria’s strong economic performance by growing industries and regions. Here at DJPR, we’re making sure Victoria’s economy benefits all Victorians by creating more jobs for more people, building thriving places and regions and nurturing inclusive communities.
Our work supports a range of diverse portfolios and operates across metropolitan, regional and international offices. We also oversee various public entities, including public corporations, regulatory authorities and specialist boards.
The Department strongly encourages applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and offers reasonable adjustments for applicants with disabilities.
Our values are accountability, integrity and respect, and underpin everything we do.
Irrigation Extension Officer
- $62,705 – $85,956 (Plus Superannuation)
- Fixed Term / 2 years
- Usual hours of work: Full Time (flexibility may be available)
- Usual work location: Mildura (flexibility may be available)
The position of Irrigation Extension Officer forms a part of the Biosecurity and Agriculture Services branch within the Agriculture Victoria Group. The Biosecurity and Agriculture Services (BAS) branch designs and delivers services, provides technical advice and influences policy to support the agriculture sector to achieve sustainable growth while managing risks and minimising adverse impacts to the economy, environment and public health and safety.
The Mallee Irrigation Extension Officer will work as a member of the Northern Region Irrigation Team to provide best practice irrigation training, information and on-farm catchment management services to irrigators within the Mallee Catchment Management Authority (Mallee CMA) region.
The position has two main purposes: (1) to contribute to water use efficiency projects, and (2) to contribute to farm planning projects across the irrigated area of the Mallee CMA.
You will be responsible for overseeing the provision of case management services to private land managers in the areas of new irrigation development, salinity management, nutrient management, land rehabilitation and sustainable agriculture. This position will work closely with irrigators ranging from individuals to large companies as well as a range of stakeholders which include the Mallee CMA, industry groups, Water Authorities and community organisations.
The Mallee Irrigation Extension Officer will also work closely with technical experts from within the Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions (DJPR) and partner organisations to bring DJPR’s scientific expertise into farm planning programs and assist irrigators manage risk and develop more productive and profitable farming systems.
The key accountabilities of the role will include:
- Participate in the development and delivery of irrigation projects in the Mallee including irrigation development plans, irrigation system audits, drainage audits and workshops with irrigators to develop understanding of water use efficiency on farm.
- Maintain cooperative working relationships with relevant organisations and agencies, local government, special interest groups and individuals to facilitate the delivery of sustainable irrigation projects.
- Ensure all projects are developed and managed according to DJPR project management guidelines; milestones and goals are met and identified outputs are achieved.
- Under supervision, deliver well developed programs and assist in the development of other staff.
- Advise line management of environmental considerations, production implications and general irrigation developments.
For a confidential discussion, please call Jeremy Giddings on 0427 102 285.
Successful candidates will be required to undergo a National Police Records Check prior to commencing employment with the Department.
To be eligible for this position you must hold the mandatory qualification as outlined in the position description.
For further information on the position, please refer to the attached position description.
How to Apply
Please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. As part of the application process, you will need to provide a copy of your resume and a cover letter addressing the key selection criteria outlined in the position description.
Applications close at midnight on 13 June 2021.