At Golder, we thrive on challenges.
Golder is not just a place to work, it is a promise of a living, dynamic environment where people collaborate, innovate, build enduring relationships, excel, and grow professionally in a strong culture of ownership.
Do you have the desire to learn? The drive to excel and thrive in an engaged, collaborative environment?
Golder has a new opportunity for a Junior Water Resource Modeler to join our Environmental Remediation and Water team in our Redmond, Washington or Portland, Oregon office. Golder has developed numerous dynamic system models, primarily using the GoldSim software, for clients around the world to evaluate environmental impacts, assist operators with water management, evaluate regulatory compliance, and other considerations. Typical applications include an evaluation of water supply requirements under varying climate or production scenarios; water quality/environmental impact assessments; risk analyses/uncertainty evaluations; design alternatives comparisons; water treatment studies; and mine closure studies/financial assurance evaluations.
Responsibilities of the role will include:
- Developing conceptual models and basis-of-design documents under the direction of a senior modeler.
- Site visits to understand the layout and connections of the system that is being modeled.
- Developing and modifying existing GoldSim water balance and water quality models for the mining, municipal water, and oil and gas industries under the direction of a senior modeler.
- Preparing proposals, presentations, and technical reports under the direction of a senior modeler.
- Participating in client meetings.
- Field data collection planning and implementation in support of hydrologic and hydrogeologic data interpretation. This work may include preparation, installation, and ongoing monitoring and maintenance of field instrumentation for groundwater and surface water monitoring, and groundwater and surface water sampling and flow measurement (up to 20% of the time).
- Collaborating with multi-disciplinary teams to complete environmental impact assessments for large mining operations.
- Managing priorities to support multiple projects with competing deadlines Qualifications.
- Bachelor’s degree (post-graduate preferred) in engineering, environmental science, geochemistry, or related field of study (water resources background is preferred, but not required).
- Minimum of one-year relevant work experience.
- An interest in probabilistic and dynamic simulation modeling.
- An interest in field data collection, instrumentation, and environmental monitoring and sampling.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (including making presentations, leading discussions, technical documentation, proposal/report writing, etc.), including English fluency.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word/Excel.
- Good attention to detail, with the ability to quickly recognize significant discrepancies and logic errors.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Willing and able to listen, quickly learn, assimilate information, and adapt.
- Strong work ethic and integrity.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Willing and able to travel occasionally (including internationally, typically less than one-week duration).
- Working knowledge of dynamic or probabilistic simulation software (e.g., GoldSim, Stella, etc.) through projects, course work or a thesis project.
- Experience interpreting hydrological and climate data or water quality data.
- Familiarity with hydrological models (e.g., rainfall-runoff models) or water quality models (e.g., WASP, CE-QUAL-W2, HSPE, etc.) through projects, course work or a thesis project.
- Familiarity with data management and analysis using ArcGIS, MODFLOW, R, Python, Microsoft Access, EQUIS, etc.
- Interested in mine water quantity and quality issues and contaminant load balance modeling.
- Previous Health and Safety training, such as MSHA preferred.
- Submittal of a cover letter with your application is appreciated.
Your benefits at Golder will include:
- Competitive benefits and remuneration packages
- Opportunity to deepen your expertise in a dynamic work environment;
- Innovative and collaborative multidisciplinary projects; and,
- On the job training, mentoring, and coaching.
Renowned for technical excellence, Golder, a member of WSP, is a leading global specialized engineering and consulting organization with over 60 years of successful service to its clients. By joining forces with WSP in 2021, Golder is now part of a 14,000-person strong earth and environment practice, providing engineering, remediation, regulatory & compliance, design and environmental services on projects that span all seven continents. Our professionals are driven by a passion to deliver results, offering unique specialized skills to address the ever-evolving challenges that earth, environment, and energy present to clients across the infrastructure, mining, oil & gas, manufacturing and power sectors.
Equal Opportunity Employment Statement
Golder is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race, religion, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, individuals with disabilities or other characteristics protected by law. Golder is a background screening, drug-free workplace.