Extension Associate is a full-time, regular position in the Water management research program located at the National Center for Alluvial Aquifer Research within Delta Research and Extension Center, Stoneville, MS. The function of this position is to assist in planning, coordinating and conducting Extension and applied research programs. The individual must be able to work cooperatively with other team members and collaborators. The Extension and research programs involve extensive field, greenhouse, and laboratory work in multiple crops including corn, soybean, rice, peanuts, grain sorghum, and wheat.
Salary Grade: 13
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are “Unclassified” and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
This position is located at the National Center for Alluvial Aquifer Research within the Delta Research and Extension Center in Stoneville, MS.
Area of Specialization:
Agronomy, Soil Science
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Organize and assist in field operations such as land preparation, planting, fertilizing, spraying, inoculating, harvesting, plot maintenance, inventory and maintenance of equipment and supplies, and general cleanup of equipment and facilities or as assigned by supervisor.
2. Designs, performs, and/or oversees experiments and data collection to ensure data integrity, quality control, and protocol compliance.
3. Collecting and processing research samples (such as plant tissue, soil, water samples) for laboratory analyses.
4. Individual will be responsible for maintaining accurate and timely records related to farm and research operations, data entry into the excel spreadsheets and subsequent data analysis.
5. Prepare summary reports of research results, refereed manuscript, and present research results to various groups, including scientific meetings.
6. Ordering field and laboratory supplies needed for research projects and maintaining an inventory of supplies and equipment.
7. Supervise, guide and train staff/student workers, interns, and volunteers performing related work.
8. Other duties necessary for conducting research as determined by the supervisor.
A B.S. Degree in Plant and Soil Science or closely related field. The individual must have a valid driver’s license. Training in EPA Worker Protection Standards is required.
Rank and Salary will be commensurate with level of qualification.
1. Knowledge and experience with agricultural practices followed by farmers in the State of Mississippi.
2. Experience in small plot research with multiple crops is desirable.
3. Previous experience operating farm equipment.
4. Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
5. Supervision of part time employees is desirable.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of scientific approach and methodologies.
2. Ability to follow research methodology and protocol.
3. Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
4. Knowledge of scientific research principles, practices, and protocols.
5. Ability to organize, and coordinate scientific research projects.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
1. Ability to work in extreme weather conditions.
2. Requires heavy physical work; heavy lifting, pushing or pulling required of objects up to 50 lbs.
3. Will operate and work in close proximity to heavy farm equipment.
4. Frequent contact with herbicides and pesticides.
5. The ability to work after normal work hours during peak seasons will be required.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All applicants must apply online at https://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach 1) a cover letter addressing the aforementioned qualifications, 2) a current resume or curriculum vitae, 3) unofficial transcript(s) of relevant college level education, and 4) a list containing the names and current contact information of three professional references. Any social security numbers included on requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online.
Contact for additional information:
Dr. Drew Gholson
Mississippi State University
Delta Research and Extension Center
P.O. Box 197
Stoneville, MS 38776
Office: (662) 390-8505
Position contingent upon funding availability.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.