• Supporting improvements in operational flood hydrology in flood estimation, characterisation and post-event analysis
• Providing hydrology support to local fluvial modelling and forecasting teams
• Assisting strategic projects improving operational flood hydrology nationally
• Reviewing hydrological analyses undertaken in support of capital flood-risk projects, with a focus on routine or non-complex models and catchments
• The administration of the team, including monitoring and allocating work requests, records and file management and providing ad hoc support to the team when required
• Developing your own areas of hydrological expertise with a view to eventual progression within the team and wider organisation
• Taking on an incident management role that fits in with your working arrangements
• A solid understanding of hydrological processes
• A degree or equivalent experience in operational hydrology or a closely related engineering or scientific discipline
• An understanding of the Flood Estimation Handbook (FEH) methods and experience of non-standard methods
• Ability to analyse basic hydrological problems and review modelling techniques
• An understanding and experience of data collection, quality analysis and processing
• Delivery of work by planning, tracking, gathering and maintaining data/information
• Ability to develop and maintain good relationships with internal and external customers
• Good organisational skills and an ability to align your priorities with the team priorities
• Expertise in, or a willingness to learn, programming skills (R, Python) as well as general IT literacy to make use of the various bespoke software we utilise to manage flood-risk and undertake post-event analysis
Please note that that your answers to the capability questions will be used to determine interview selection. The interview will be undertaken remotely.
The Environment Agency offer a range of employee benefits including a generous pension. There are fully funded opportunities to develop further academic/professional qualifications.
The team is a national team with colleagues and partners across the country. Some travel may be beneficial to the role in future but remote working is the norm for now.
For further information regarding this role, please contact Trevor Bond via e-mail at [email protected] or via phone on 0203 025 8510.
06/06/2021, 23:55 hours
We are fully committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce to reflect the communities we serve. We welcome flexible working patterns for all our vacancies, including job share, so please include clearly any information regarding your preferred working arrangements on your application.
We also have a Guaranteed Interview Policy to support those with a disability who are seeking employment. We have committed to guaranteeing an interview to anyone with a disability whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post.
The Environment Agency, as a Non-Departmental Public Body, is committed to providing value for money and utilises Central Government frameworks and contracts for all external recruitment needs. For this reason, we are unable to engage with the market directly through post, email or phone calls . Should you wish to become a support supplier on one of these frameworks or contracts please visit https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/become-a-crown-commercial-service-supplier/becoming-a-supplier-through-the-crown-commercial-service-what-you-need-to-know for more information.