Join the hundreds of talented and innovative team members who are making an impact every day at California Times, incorporating Los Angeles Times and San Diego Union-Tribune, two of the most iconic media brands in the nation. Whether you love to tell compelling stories or want to drive our award-winning powerhouse in new directions, the Los Angeles Times team is the place to be.
Job Description Summary
The Los Angeles Times has an opening for a reporter to cover water policy and related issues for the environmental team.
As California enters another drought, this beat is more important than ever. We are looking for an experienced reporter with a deep interest in our ceaseless quest of water, which is perhaps the defining feature of life in California. This is a beat that combines science and ecology with politics, economics, agriculture, sustainability and history. The way we “move the rain” to keep our cities and agriculture alive is filled with profound and sometimes dire trade-offs, and this beat must constantly be wrestling with that.
The successful candidate will be someone who combines covering a big breaking story with deeper investigations, explorations about how climate change is altering California’s relationship with water and exposing the back-room politics that is at the heart of it all. An interest in creative digital storytelling and data reporting is essential. The reporter will be based with the environmental team but work closely with Sacramento, Washington, Data and Graphics and other departments to produce the best coverage.
- A minimum of seven years of journalism experience; experience conceiving and developing data-driven work for the general public is a plus
- Ability to foster excellent communication with peers, supervisors and the newsroom
- Proven ability to juggle multiple tasks in a deadline-driven environment
- Excellent skills in news writing and reporting, combining strong news judgment, fluency in style and deep knowledge of taste and legal considerations
- Ability to navigate digital platforms and stay on top of current events
- Understanding of the importance of accuracy and precision
- An ethical and inclusive approach in the workplace that promotes collaboration
- Comfortable appearing on TV and radio on behalf of the L.A. Times
The L.A. Times is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Explore our company history, achievement, values, mission and more on our Careers Site.
This position is classified as Reporter in the Los Angeles Times Guild. Times staff is currently working remotely, but when we return to the newsroom the position will be based in El Segundo, Calif.
Qualified applicants should upload a resume and cover letter to Deputy Managing Editor Shelby Grad at the apply link.
Please note, the opportunity to attach additional documents appears on the third screen and is labeled “Upload.”
Thank you for your interest in joining our team at the Los Angeles Times! We look forward to reviewing your application.