YOU’LL CONTRIBUTE TO ENDING WORLD HUNGER BY …
As a member of the Action Against Hunger -USA Technical Department and specific focal point for Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) the Senior Technical Advisor will inform the development and implementation of WASH approaches and interventions, contribute to the technical strategy with a multi-sectoral approach, will contribute to global WASH development and learning and will lead HEARO and country WASH experts. Specifically, the main responsibilities are to provide technical leadership and guidance to WASH interventions by:
Contributing, from a WASH perspective, to the definition of the Strategic Organizational Direction. Maximizing impact in country programs by supporting core programming and when necessary, providing demand-driven support to field-based program & project implementation. Supporting the mobilization of critical resources through the design of country, regional and global programming, integrating innovative approaches and applied best practices in the area of WASH.
Driving WASH organizational learning, developing core policies, tools and guidance, knowledge transfer and capacity building, and providing technical support to the team in the Horn and East Africa, as part of the Knowledge and Innovation hub. Engaging strategically to influence WASH policies and practices of key stakeholders most critical to our organizational objectives and developing key partnerships to achieve programming at scale.
KEY ACTIVITIES IN YOUR ROLE WILL INCLUDE
Resource Mobilization and Program Development
- Working in partnership with the business development team, the regional office, the future Knowledge & Information Hub, and/or targeted country programs or other project teams around the world, participate and support applications/proposals for strategic grants and contracts for country, regional and global programming that integrates innovative approaches and best practices in the area of WASH.
- Supporting of pre-positioning efforts in the U.S. and abroad, the WASH advisor will contribute to strengthening engagement with USAID and US-based foundations, identifying potential partnerships, increasing awareness in Washington DC & New York of our core capacities, signature interventions, program achievements and evidence, learning, and the Action Against Hunger brand.
- Building and developing relationships for strategic collaborations and partnerships with key stakeholders, including academic and policy institutions in line with Action Against Hunger USA’s technical strategy
Technical Leadership in Maximizing Program Impact
- Leading the development of WASH components of technical policies, framework, approaches and project models.
- Collaborating with other technical advisors and specialists in HEARO, facilitating technical support to WASH interventions and research projects in Haiti, and other countries as required.
Strategic Influencing & Engagement
- Contributing from a WASH perspective to AAH US influencing Strategy at a global, regional, and country level
- Setting WASH strategic technical direction, including overseeing the refinement of our programming framework and interventions in support of bringing our innovative programming to scale
- Representing Action Against Hunger technical experiences and positioning in WASH within global alliance, coordination, working groups and technical for a (Millennium Water Alliance, Rigth2Grow, Clean, Fed and Nurtured, the Global Handwashing Partnership, Global WASH Cluster, Interaction
- Advancing AAH WASH expertise recognition by presenting high level content at conferences or learning events (UNC, EEHF, WWW, PRO-WASH etc.)
- Advising and contribute to ER/communications material development and facilitate dissemination of WASH information, experiences, and case studies through website, press releases, interview, radio/video and other mediums
- Building relationships for strategic collaborations and partnerships with key stakeholders, including academic and policy institutions in line with Action Against Hunger USA’s technical strategy
Expand Learning, Evidence base and Knowledge Transfer
- Overseeing the documentation, capitalization, and dissemination of Action Against Hunger USA WASH programming experiences and lessons learnt.
- Ensuring dedicated technical support and leadership to specific global or research projects (e.g. Relapse study)
- Overseeing the secondary analysis of existing or proposed programs to ensure relevance, impact, viability, sustainability, and quality of the action.
- Build partnerships with other agencies &/or partners to ensure up to date knowledge and understanding of the latest pertinent WASH programming, tools, technical developments, and innovations
- Lead and coordinate the development of guidelines, manuals, position papers and other institutional documents on WASH topics and collaborate with Action Against Hunger network initiatives, advancing and promoting these guidelines, etc.
Facilitate WASH knowledge management and dissemination, through the development and usage of Action Against Hunger’s resources and trainings platforms
DO YOU MEET THE PROFILE REQUIRED CRITERIA?
A minimum of 5 years previous work in programs overseas with an international humanitarian and/or developmental organization.
Expertise in WASH programming in a technical advisory position with an International humanitarian and/or development organization (at region, or headquarters levels).
Experience working in development and humanitarian/post-crisis contexts in all the steps of the Project Cycle Management.
Experience collaborating with major donors (e.g. USAID, ECHO, FCDO) and of their reporting requirements; in both humanitarian and long-term developmental contexts
Ability to present clear ideas and arguments, providing distance support, training, and influence.
Flexible, adaptable, dynamic, and enthusiastic in working with staff from other sectorszProactive and taking initiative, autonomous and reliable
Fluent written and spoken English, working knowledge of French desirable.
Existing eligibility to work in the US is essential.