Identify, develop, implement and administer loans, technical assistance (TA) projects, and non-lending products and services (NLPS) in the areas of water resources development, irrigation, river basin including drought and flood management. In line with ADB’s Water Operational Plan and Operational Plan for Agriculture and Natural Resources, undertake policy dialogue, promote best practices for modernization of irrigation and integrated water resource management (IWRM) programs and projects, undertake relevant sector and thematic studies, and participate in sub-regional cooperation programs in Southeast Asia. As mission leader and project officer, supervise the work of mission members; and as supervisor, oversee and mentor reporting staff. Work with broad policies and objectives, working directly with clients, with supervision for critical tasks.
a. Strategy and Planning
- Provide information and analyses towards the development of policy and strategies for ADB-supported water resource development efforts, including river basin planning and management, irrigation infrastructure development, modernization and management, physical and economic water resource productivity, environmental protection and social measures, groundwater, climate change, and flood and drought risk management.
- Participate in economic, thematic, and sector work (ETSW) in emerging water resource management challenges and identify investment opportunities for enhancing physical and economic productivity and performance of country and regional cooperation water sector operations.
- Coordinate with relevant regional bodies, including Mekong River Commission (MRC), Network of Asian River Basis Organizations (NARBO), Global Water Partnership (GWP), and other multilateral regional water programs.
- Contribute to the design and administration of regional cooperation activities related to GMs, including conducting dialogue with national governments, regional organizations, bilateral donors, nongovernment organizations and other development partners.
- Contribute substantially to Country Partnership Strategy (CPS) and Operations Business Plans, and divisional sector assessment, strategy and road map updates.
- Develop water sector policies, strategies, roadmaps and water sector assessments for developing member countries (DMCs) within the Southeast Asia region through the preparation and administration of advisory TA projects.
b. Project Development and Administration
- Undertake missions responsible for the identification, preparation, appraisal and administration of water resources, agricultural water resource management especially irrigation, and natural resources management projects.
- Contribute substantial technical input into the development and administration of projects in the areas of water resources (irrigation and river basin) and environmentally sustainable development.
- Liaise with development agencies and partners on collaborative work around food-water interface and natural resources sectors development.
- Ensure key technical, economic, financial and crosscutting issues are incorporated into projects.
- Coordinate with governments on management of ADB-assisted programs and projects in the sector.
c. Policy and Project Evaluation
- Review relevant ADB documents on water sector and natural resources management.
- Evaluate water sector policies and projects; intra-regional and regional cooperation activities in the water sector; and on the role of water in developing rural economies and poverty reduction.
- Monitor outcome and output indicators in the water resources management in the Southeast Asia region.
d. Knowledge Sharing
- Participate in and contribute to internal and external training and conferences on water resources management and other activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building.
e. Staff Supervision
- Provide leadership and support to reporting staff.
- Supervise the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Ensure the on-going learning and development of reporting staff.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Regularly shares knowledge on new international best practice trends in comparator situations
- Proactively applies relevant international best practices to own work
- Convinces others to adopt international best practice by explaining the situational relevance and benefits
- Helps colleagues work effectively with clients in different contexts and from diverse backgrounds and country situations
- Adapts own approach and style when interacting with clients, as opposed to requiring them to adapt
- Draws upon international best practice in exploring solutions with clients
- Confirms the clients’ understanding and agreement before progressing
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Draws on own and others’ multi-country experience to identify viable courses of action when conducting analyses
- Helps internal and external clients achieve quality results beyond presenting problems and precedent
- Highlights possible solutions for project issues based on relevant multi-country and/or multi-client experience
- Regularly contributes insights and experiences to colleagues in the Division to help them achieve quality results
- Overcomes unexpected difficulties and challenges to produce desired outcomes
- Maintains collaborative relationships within the Department
- Works effectively with diverse colleagues in own and other Divisions and Departments
- Flexibly alters positions and adjusts previously stated points of view to support the group consensus
- Follows through on team priorities in the absence of a team leader
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Checks the audience’s level of understanding and awareness of required follow up actions
- Consistently seeks and addresses feedback on own performance
- Creates knowledge products endorsed for wider distribution based on lessons and multi-country experience
- Independently amends and clarifies messages and documents
Innovation and Change
- Actively supports work improvement and/or organizational change by work and deed
- Develops and adopts change plans to support Division initiatives on which one works
- Considers current and future client needs in proposing ideas
- Vocalizes early support for change
- Recommends inputs to new policies, systems and processes in immediate work area
- Master degree in water resources, agricultural or civil engineering, with complementary work experience in related subject areas in irrigation, integrated water resources management, including flood and drought, and rural development or other related fields; or University degree in water resources, agriculture or civil engineering with a Master degree in business administration.
- Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level.
- At least 8 years of relevant professional experience in water resource management project design and administration.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- International experience working in development in several countries, with substantial experience in the water/irrigation sector in Asia and the Pacific
- Supervisor: Director, SEER
- The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent:
- Administrative Staff
- National Staff
We encourage diversity in our workplace and support an inclusive and respectful work environment. Women are especially encouraged to apply.