Organizational overview: Waterkeeper Alliance is a global movement uniting more than 350 Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates around the world, focusing community action on issues that affect our waterways, from pollution to climate change. Waterkeepers patrol and protect more than 2.8 million square miles of rivers, lakes and coastlines in Africa, Asia, Australia, the Americas, and Europe. For more information please visit: www.waterkeeper.org.
Position Summary: At a time of strategic growth, Waterkeeper Alliance seeks a Campaign Manager to lead a high impact campaign to combat adverse environmental impacts caused by the proliferation of industrial animal feeding operations (AFOs). The Campaign Manager will lead a bold, sophisticated, and integrated campaign that calls attention to the destructive pollution practices of industrialized swine, poultry, dairy and other AFOs, ensures compliance with environmental laws, and supports the traditional family farms that industrial practices endanger.
The Campaign Manager is a member of the organization’s Advocacy department and will be primarily responsible for managing Waterkeeper Alliance’s Pure Farms, Pure Waters (PFPW) campaign and staff. The Campaign Manager will work with other staff, Waterkepeer groups, community leaders, public officials, coalitions, and volunteers to build the public support needed to address the failure to regulate pollution from AFOs that is devastating rivers, lakes, and estuaries and lowering quality of life in our communities. This position reports to the General Counsel & Advocacy Director.
- Execute a global advocacy campaign to tackle the largest unaddressed sources of water pollution;
- Coordinate with Waterkeeper groups, partners and other stakeholders to support implementation of the campaign;
- Implement grassroots advocacy strategies for the campaign and mobilize community advocates in key prioritized areas;
- Strengthen public policy and private support for reforming the industry;
- Educate decision-makers and the general-public about the devastating impacts of industrialized meat production; occasional lobbying of public officials and government agencies;
- Interpret complex scientific and policy information for consumption by target audiences;
- Community outreach, public speaking; perform other campaign projects and administrative duties;
- Leverage Waterkeeper Alliance’s recruiting, training, organizing, advocacy, communications/media, development, and legal staff and expertise to support implementation of a cohesive, integrated campaign;
- Export lessons learned to Waterkeeper organizations across the globe facing threats from industrial agriculture;
- Increase the number of Waterkeeper groups participating in the campaign;
- Craft campaign e-mails, action alerts, website content, blogs, social media posts, letters to the editor and other opinion pieces, and videos; and
- Support the organization’s industrial agriculture fundraising goals.
- Execute additional projects, as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: The position requires a broad skill set and the successful candidate must be driven by a strong desire for justice. The PFPW Campaign Manager must have:
- A firm belief that everyone has a right to clean water for drinking, fishing, and swimming;
- Five or more years of relevant experience (preferably working directly on industrial animal agriculture issues), including a sound understanding of grassroots advocacy, environmental and administrative law, governmental policymaking, advocacy, and communications;
- Demonstrated familiarity with and commitment to working with, and being guided by, impacted communities and incorporating principles of equity, inclusion, and justice into campaign processes, objectives, and outcomes;
- Significant experience in the planning and implementation of advocacy campaigns and strategic initiatives. Experience should include at least some of the following activities: planning, strategy development and implementation, project management, organizing, lobbying, policy drafting or review, media relations, and working with community, political, and business leaders
- Knowledge, experience and background with water quality issues;
- A demonstrated ability to interact effectively with lawmakers, other elected officials, and agency staff;
- Familiarity with, or the ability to readily adapt to, the Waterkeeper culture and model;
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills;
- The ability to work well independently; and
- A charismatic and likeable personality and a good sense of humor.
Culture & Benefits: Our staff and Waterkeepers are the heart of our mission, and we are committed to pursuing the principles of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) as we move forward to a more equal and empowering future as an organization. We aim to create and sustain a workforce that reflects the hundreds of global communities we strive to protect in our fight for clean water, and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply to join our team!
We offer a competitive industry salary, excellent benefits including 15 vacation days and paid parental leave, work from home opportunities, and a healthy work-life balance to all members of our team.
Start Date: ASAP. This position will remain open until filled.
Applications: Send resume, one original writing sample, and a cover letter to [email protected] with subject line “2021 PFPW Campaign Manager.” Please note that applications must be emailed to [email protected] to be considered for this position. No phone calls, please.
Waterkeeper Alliance is dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Waterkeeper is a registered trademark of Waterkeeper Alliance, Inc.