The, Mines to Markets (M2M) supports the design, development and delivery of Pact’s work with companies, communities and governments in the global mining sector to contribute to the achievement of Pact’s overall strategy. The M2M provides technical support and mentorship to a network of staff around the world that can provide technical assistance and quality oversight to relevant programs and contribute to technical design of proposals. The M2M keeps abreast of opportunities, regulations, actors, and best practices in the mining sector and plays a key role in positioning Pact as a thought and practice leader in the field of mining and development. The M2M will be written into project implementation plans as appropriate, where those projects require ongoing specialist technical support. The M2M may be responsible for managing other members of the M2M team on a project or ongoing basis, contributing to the development and monitoring of project work plans to ensure adherence to best-practices and standards. The primary geographic focus of this post is Southern and West Africa and Latin America, however it is not limited to these areas. The M2M represents Pact at technical meetings and forums with key donors. The position reports to the Senior Director, M2M.
Learning, leveraging and thought leadership
- Contribute to Pact’s technical excellence in relation to working in the mining sector at all stages in the mineral supply chain and with all actors along that chain.
- Represent Pact’s technical capabilities and promote Pact’s programming at donor meetings, internal events and national/international conferences.
- Contribute to the development of popular and peer-reviewed publications as well as communications materials for delivery through multiple media channels.
- Remain abreast of trends and research findings regarding mining sector issues, corporate responsibility, regulatory frameworks, industry standards and best practice in the mining sector and participate in disseminating them to country offices and relevant communities of practice.
- Contribute to due diligence to ensure Pact’s engagement with mining companies/organizations is institutionally appropriate and support field offices in identifying, assessing and mitigating potential risks involved in working with the mining sector.
- Play a key role in defining new business development relating to M2M by leading the technical design on projects in the mining sector, networking with donors to gather intelligence on up-coming funding opportunities, ensuring that all relevant proposals are technically sound, and capitalizing upon Pact’s worldwide knowledge base.
Ensuring quality programming
- Provide technical support and ongoing oversight to projects in the mining sector to ensure program quality.
- Share global best practices with project staff on regular basis using multiple communications channels and mechanisms including training and support the integration of these best practices into Pact’s programming.
- Participate in a robust internal community of practice that ensures continuous learning across field offices as well as across all levels of Pact.
- Contribute to ensuring that integrated programming is maximized for impact and documented across Pact.
- Contribute to linking, synergizing, and mentoring dispersed country office and PD’s technical expertise.
- Provide technical assistance to field offices so that they better understand and are better able to meet industry standards and expectations of donors
- Support implementation of the M2M portfolio by sourcing consultants, interviewing program staff, developing or reviewing SoWs/ToRs, and reviewing reports and project documentation.
- Offer technical guidance to country offices and PD to support effective and efficient spending of project funds on high quality integrated programming and learning.
- Provide technical oversight to, and where necessary, management of, global and regional programs.
- Manage other M2M staff as required including: development and monitoring the implementation of work plans; supporting skills development; mentoring; performance assessment.
Innovative program design, monitoring and evaluation
- Contribute to technical learning across Pact on mining issues, by staying up to date on best practices and research, networking with global technical stakeholders, and sharing the learning in relevant and actionable ways across the organization.
- Contribute to ensuring the mining sector is part of our Integrated Approach to maximize quality programming and impact and on the sharing of learnings across the organization and externally.
- Work closely with other technical staff to ensure integration across sectors and core competencies
- Contribute to technical aspects of proposal development (e.g. design workshops, technical reviews, bid reviews, and donor strategies).
- Participate in scoping trips, proposal design meetings, recruitment of partners, responses to donor questions, and presentations to donors, when appropriate.
- Under the guidance of the Senior Director, M2M, forge partnerships during pre-positioning and proposal development, building on previous strategic and technical experience with partners.
- Help identify key personnel (draft JDs, review CVs, conduct interviews, etc.)
- Contribute to the Opportunity Development team’s technical skills and understanding of Pact’s technical areas and the integrated approach.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Mining, Development, Economics, or related field. Preference will be given to candidates with technical skills in engineering, mine development and other technical areas.
- 6 years of experience working in international development and/or corporate responsibility (4 years of experience if candidate has a Master’s or higher degree).
- Strong planning and resource management skills.
- Ability and willingness to multitask with ease and grace, balancing and adapting to frequently changing priorities.
- Ability to establish and sustain interpersonal and professional relationships with Pact staff, donors, local partners, host governments and other implementing organizations.
- Experience in effective management of staff and mentoring of colleagues.
- Documented success in raising project funding.
- Expertise in the mining sector including: artisanal, small- scale and industrial mining; mineral extraction and processing; health and safety; environmental regulation; mining governance instruments and bodies; best practice and international standards; trade, supply chains and market access.
- Experience in working in a range of mineral sectors, experience in mercury reduction and/or construction materials an advantage.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs.
- Excellent written and oral communications, including previous experience in developing toolkits, journal articles or other publications.
- Travel up to 50% of time.