SIWI is a water policy institute that generates knowledge and informs decision-making towards water wise policy and sustainable development. SIWI performs applied research, provides advisory services on water governance to actors and partners in developing countries. SIWI also cooperates with actors in Sweden and organizes the World Water Week in Stockholm – the leading annual global meeting on water and development issues – and hosts the Stockholm Water Prize, and the Stockholm Junior Water Prize.
Do you want to work for an organization whose vision is a Water Wise World? Do you have what it takes to manage projects on time, on budget, in Africa? Are you skilled at managing teams and relationships with partners? Do you have a flair for business development?
SIWI is looking for a Programme Manager to join its Africa Regional Centre in Pretoria. The ARC represents SIWI across the continent and has developed a niche supporting efforts to attract finance to the African water sector – across the full value chain. Our theory of change is that by strengthening water governance at all levels of scale the costs and risks of investing in the water sector are reduced and benefits for all stakeholders are maximised.
Your main responsibilities as a Programme Manager:
- Lead the team implementing the Zambezi Transforming Investments in African Rainfed Agriculture (TIARA) project, and support other projects as needed (such as the Ethiopia Water and Landscape Governance programme),
- Lead the project team, delegating responsibilities and ensuring follow-up,
- Take responsibility for project finances including budgeting, monitoring, reporting & auditing,
- Develop knowledge products (such as policy briefs, background papers, business models and technical advisories) on water governance related topics,
- Develop and implement capacity building programmes supporting improved water governance,
- Ensure compliance with SIWI’s internal routines and business management processes as well as requirements of our financiers,
- Lead business development initiatives,
- Manage existing partnerships and establish new networks for SIWI in the water and natural resources development and financing space in Africa.
Experience & Qualifications:
To succeed in the role, you will have at least 7-10 years of experience in the world of international development, water resources management, development finance or climate change adaptation in Africa.
You have a master’s degree related to the above fields.
You are an excellent communicator in spoken, written and presentation formats in English. Your presentations to audiences (of whatever size) are compelling and attuned to their interests and expectations. Your knowledge of French or Portuguese would be an asset.
You have strong diplomatic skills, which have been applied at inter-governmental levels, with the private sector, as well as with local communities.
You look forward to travelling up to a quarter of your time, once the Covid-19 situation allows. You are eligible for a South African work permit.
Sound like a good fit for you? Take a look at our website and tell us why!
The position is a one year contract with subject of renewal upon good performance and availability of funds.
Apply by 14 June 2021 at https://www.siwi.org/about/career-opportunities/
For queries on the position or the recruitment process contact: Anton Earle, Director of the SIWI ARC at [email protected]