Mercy USA is an independent and impartial non-governmental organization.
Mercy-USA currently has health, nutrition, food security and livelihood, WASH, education and Protection interventions in East Africa region. Mercy-USA plans its ECHO-funded WASH emergency response for saving lives and preserving the dignity of acute crisis-affected families in South Central Somalia, Hiraan region, Beledweyne and Buloburte districts. Under the general direction and guidance of the Project Manager, the WASH Officer will ensure that WASH project activities are timely implemented and of excellent technical quality. The post holder is expected to provide technical advice, monitoring, and support to ensure ECHO funded project objectives are successfully achieved.
Technical guidance responsibilities;-
- Assist the Program Manager in providing technical support in the implementation of the activities;
- Prepare designs and BoQs for the project activities;
- Prepare designs and BoQs for WASH structures, including latrines and water structures (pipeline extensions, tap stands, shallow wells etc.);
- Supervision and inspection of construction works;
- Engagement of MEAL department in the ongoing projects;
- Design and ensure the effective promotion of appropriate hygiene and sanitation messages;
- Developing a water and sanitation implementation and monitoring plan in a participatory manner with targeted communities;
- Prepare and oversee the training of WASH committees on operation and maintenance and the training of hygiene promoters and community mobilizers on WASH (hygiene promotion);
- Preparing reports in line with the reporting schedule and internal and donor’s requirements;
- Participate in design and implementation of surveys and assessments related to WASH when required;
- Mobilization of community groups & training on HHWTS & hygiene promotion activities;
- While maintaining close working arrangement with the project manager, support development of proposals and budgets for water and sanitation and livelihood projects in collaboration with the project team and other partners;
- Oversees beneficiaries selection process;
- Prepare and oversee the implementation of DRR activities;
- Prepare and oversee CASH transfers activities;
- Ensure all the protection and risk mitigation measures are in place;
- Representing Mercy-USA at WASH and Livelihood sectors coordination meetings and working groups at district and national levels as required;
- Prepares weekly and monthly work-plan for the project and project team (CM, HPs);
- Monitor quality of the interventions and submit feedback to the Project Manager;
- Ensure feedback collected from the field and lessons learnt are shared within the organization;
- Ensure that all activities are being implemented according to the signed contracts and MoUs;
- Ensures proper documentation for all activities is provided timely;
- Conducts assessments and plans responses together with other team members;
- Monitors situation in the targeted areas for significant changes, emergency situations and shares information with the Project Manager;
- Remain the first link between Mercy-USA and beneficiaries in communication about the activities, beneficiary’s feedback and mobilization of communities;
- Consult beneficiaries on activities’ design and implementation;
- Collect and shares feedback from beneficiaries;
- Regularly visit project sites to monitor the humanitarian situation and impact of Mercy-USA interventions and reports regularly on progress and bottlenecks
- Participate in the selection process of hygiene promoters, O&M personnel, casual workers other project beneficiaries;
- Implements an appropriate monitoring system for the project CLTS and hygiene and sanitation awareness promotion activities in line with the project objectives;
- Ensure beneficiaries are informed about project activities and Mercy-USA’s Community Feedback and Response Mechanism;
- Ensure proper management and storage of the kits and tools for project implementation.
Capacity building responsibilities;-
- Carry out capacity mapping of hygiene promoters and community mobilizers at the community level and advise management of appropriate training needed to address the capacity gaps identified;
- Organize and facilitate cascaded trainings on disability inclusion (inclusive WASH) – after the training provided by HI;
- Support training of Beledweyne and Buloburte based staff on ECHO WASH related intervention so that they can support with the implementations where required;
- Assist in the development of training materials and modules.
Monitoring, evaluation and learning responsibilities;-
- Ensure proper monitoring of the WASH and livelihood/DRR projects, and participates in data collection for regular monitoring systems as well as for ad-hoc assessments related to ECHO project;
- Ensure formal and informal project monitoring to ensure smooth implementation process;
- Report regularly on activities progress, planning and support needs;
- Prepares weekly / by-weekly activities planning and progress report;
- Support the project manager in development and preparation of implementation plans and monitoring of project progress and outcomes;
- Assist in any other relevant duties as required by the Hiran field coordinator and field based staff.
- Degree in the relevant sectors civil engineering, Structural Engineering, water engineering or any related to the field.
- Professional technical qualification will be an added advantage.
- Diploma in water resource management, Community Development.
- 5 years’ direct experience in the coordination, monitoring, and implementation of WASH projects;
- Experience in CASH programs;
- Experience in Livelihood and DRR programs;
- Experience working in Somalia;
- Languages: Somali and English;
- Experience of implementing ECHO, UNICEF, USAID, UN, and FCDO funded projects.
- Previous work experience managing remote field teams
- Strong knowledge of the water resource sector management implementation and supportive supervision. **
- Good organizational skills
- Good time management skills
- Strong communication skills, including ability to lead and manage remote
- Ability to work in harsh conditions
- Aggressive and Result Oriented
- Able to meet set own targets and meet own targets on a monthly basis and follow up targets of reporting colleagues
- Able to meet deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure
- Team player
- Strong interpersonal skills
How to apply
Due to the nature of Mercy USA Operations, flexibility is indispensable and unavoidable.
Any interested candidate can send a CV and cover letter to the following email address: [email protected]
The applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with the deadline to apply 26th May 2021.
What we stand for: – Mercy USA for Aid and Development is committed to creating and maintaining a caring and protective environment, which promotes its core values, and prevents and addresses child abuse and exploitation. We strongly condemn all form of child abuse and exploitation, be it within or outside of our organization, and always respond to any case of proven, alleged or attempted abuse within our sphere of influence according to its nature. Efforts ensure that mechanisms are in place to raise awareness, aid prevention, encourage reporting and ease response.
Mercy USA for Aid and Development does not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, race, or persons with disabilities.