The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is looking for a reputed, result-oriented mid-career scientist with appropriate technical and personal skills to lead a scientific research group focusing on strategic and applied spatial analysis research with strong applications in maize and wheat based agrifood systems research. The successful candidate will oversee a team of junior scientists and graduate students, based at the Henan Agricultural University in China, that use geospatial data including satellite base information for crop monitoring, precision agriculture approaches for improved nutrient and water use efficiencies, data collection approaches including crowd sourcing, and novel analytical and modeling approaches to integrate multi-level and multi-sources data into decision support systems. The position will be linked with the maize and wheat agrifood systems and agronomy work of CIMMYT and Henan Agricultural University and will provide geospatial expertise and products contributing to CIMMYT and the University’s project portfolio. It will define priority research area of global importance in the field of remote sensing, decision support for nutrient and water management and use of geospatial information for monitoring and impact assessment of geographies of interest, in coordination with CIMMYT’s Sustainable Intensification and Socio Economic Programs and Henan Agricultural University.
The position is based at Zhengzhou, Henan province (China).
- Develop novel analytical and modeling approaches to integrate multi-level and multi-sources data into decision support systems.
- Establish semi-automated processing chain for remote sensing and modeling based characterization of crop production risks.
- Design spatial analysis approaches that support precision agriculture approaches for improved nutrient and water use efficiencies.
- Conceptualize and pursue interactive data collection (including crowd sourcing) and dissemination approaches (including cell phone mediated tools) in support of improved decision making, including by farmers and extension agents.
- Rigorously document and publish research findings in high impact journals and contribute to the dissemination of results.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- PhD in remote sensing, environmental science, or agriculture.
- A minimum of 10 years of work experience in remote sensing for agriculture.
- Strong publication record in peer reviewed journals.
- Good understanding of the role of geospatial sciences in agricultural development at various scales.
- Demonstrated expertise in developing practical remote sensing applications and decision support tools in agriculture.
- Working knowledge of main remote sensing and GIS tools software.
- Knowledge of R-Cran, Python and GDAL is a plus.
- Demonstrated leadership, networking and. Demonstrated ability to collaborate well across disciplines and with key collaborative institutions and agencies, both at location and at distance.
- Excellent oral and written, and communication and presentation skills in English.
- Must be able to compile research results on an ongoing basis in the form of presentations and high impact research papers.
- Relationship with External Stakeholders
The position will be part of four career-track positons hired in collaboration between CIMMYT and Henan Agricultural University (HAU). HAU is a first-tier agricultural university in China. It has the vision of doubling and internationalizing its faculty over the coming five years. State-of-the-art facilities and equipment for the four research teams are provided at an entirely new university campus. Funding for the positions has been established through an agreement between CIMMYT and HAU. HAU hosts the National Key Laboratory for Wheat and Maize Crop Science and the only National Collaborative Innovation Center for Agriculture in China. Because of this, the Government gives the center a top priority for development and international collaboration. The positions are CIMMYT staff positions and follow its international policies. Modern and spacious housing is provided at the campus. The host city, Zhengzhou, has an international school and airport, and high speed train connection to Beijing.
CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing provided on campus, transport, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS17115 Geospatial Analyst/Specialist. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on March 1st 2017. Incomplete applications (CV and Cover Letter) will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Enrique Martinez, at [email protected].
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.