To provide in-depth technical support in the implementation of the Environment Thematic Group’s (ETG’s) workplan; peer review of relevant documents, support of partnerships and ADB’s participation in external networks; and maintenance of environment databases. Acts as focal point for thematic briefings and presentations and conduct research, analyze environment information, and monitor progress of ongoing environment work in Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department (SDCC). Conduct other analytical, coordination, information and review activities as required and requested by Director, Environment and Safeguards Division (SDES) and Technical Advisor (Environment).
Knowledge Products and Services• Prepares environment knowledge products by compiling, analyzing and processing relevant data, writing initial drafts, revise drafts, and supervising staff or consultants in the preparation of the publications.• Monitors and compiles information related to the implementation of ADB’s Environment Agenda (including the Environmental Operational Directions and related targets in ADB’s long term strategic framework), and related policies and strategies.• Regularly updates and maintains, and enhances the environment websites and social media accounts.• Responds verbally and/or in writing to internal and external queries and requests for information on ADB’s environmental work. • Supports ADB’s ETG and other environmental internal and external networking activities, and supervise/support as required in the conduct of conferences and workshops. • Undertakes general research to support environment thematic work including (i) monitoring and analyzing thematic issues; and preparing draft responses to requests for peer review; and other information requests as relevant.
Network and database management• Serves as focal point for the ADB-wide activities of the ETG by organizing meetings, formal and informal seminars, and peer reviews and other ETG-organized activities such as the World Environment Day; • Coordinates and maintains partnerships with external institutions and agencies and prepares ADB responses on external inquiries/invitations on environment;• Prepares appropriate communications on Management’s responses on issues related to ETG work namely its activities and outputs on natural capital, sustainable infrastructure and environmental governance;• Prepares/compiles/updates briefing notes/databases/speeches on environment and relevant activities.
Administrative support • Prepares ETG’s work plan with members, related results framework estimated resource requirements, accomplishment reports, three-year rolling work program, and inputs in ADB annual report. • Contributes to the preparation of annual budget by consolidating the ETG’s work program and preparing corresponding financial resource requirements and background materials• Assists in the coordination of the division’s inputs to the department’s information system.• Coordinates/supports ETG’s meeting with and inputs from Committee members.
Others• Other duties that may be assigned as reflected in the incumbent’s workplan.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Applies updated advancements in own knowledge area to relevant tasks
- Applies knowledge and practical skills to independently perform some complex tasks
- Conveys the need to use updated project approaches
- Delivers Divisional contributions across a variety of products and services to meet the needs of different clients
- Proposes options to clients that may better meet their needs than current approaches
- Defines and delivers to agreed standards with clients
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Conducts detailed research and analysis to determine appropriate methods for addressing the causes of issues
- Self-monitors achievement of results according to work plans
- Identifies different stakeholder needs and desired outcomes when planning for outcomes
- Independently solves problems and makes recommendations
- Maintains collaborative relationships within the Department
- Works effectively with diverse colleagues in own and other Divisions and Departments
- Flexibly alters positions and adjusts previously stated points of view to support the group consensus
- Follows through on team priorities in the absence of a team leader
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Checks with audience’s level of understanding and awareness of required follow up actions
- Consistently seeks and addresses feedback on own performance
- Creates knowledge products endorsed for wider distribution
- Independently amends and clarifies messages and documents
Innovation and Change
- Actively supports work improvement and/or organizational change by work and deed
- Develops and adopts change plans to support Division initiatives on which one works
- Considers current and future client needs in proposing ideas
- Vocalizes early support for change
- Recommends inputs to new policies, systems and processes in immediate work area
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Planning and Management or Environmental Engineering, Environmental Economics, Biology and Natural Sciences or any related field; preferably with Master’s Degree.
Work experience• At least 10 years work experience in the environment or related field, including experience in research and analysis, preparation of knowledge products on experience in environmental sustainability.
Technical knowledge • Knowledge of broad issues of environment in the region and globally, particularly in sustainable infrastructure, sustainable natural resource management, environmental governance and ecosystem-based climate adaptation. • Familiarity with preparing and updating materials for the internet and social media sites (e.g. Twitter, Facebook)• Familiarity and capability in ADB project processing.• Familiarity with work programming and monitoring. • Excellent writing skills.• High level of proficiency in use of the Internet and ADB-adapted Windows-based computer applications (Lotus Notes, cc:Mail, Oracle Data base, MS Excel, MS Word, MS Powerpoint presentations)
People and leadership skills • Able to guide Administrative Support (AS) staff to facilitate implementation of activities• Able to liaise and work effectively with internal and external clients.• Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.