The Delaware Riverkeeper Network, a grassroots, regional, nonprofit working to protect and restore the Delaware River, is seeking a Media Relations and Development Associate to provide high level support for the Delaware Riverkeeper, the Chief Executive and Advocate of the organization, and the organization’s Director of Grants and Communication.
The time and responsibilities for the Media Relations and Development Associate will be divided between two key roles—1) media relations and outreach; and 2) grant management and reporting. Both of these of roles will support work across a broad range of programs and projects undertaken by the Delaware Riverkeeper Network.
Media Outreach Responsibilities: Reporting to the Delaware Riverkeeper, the Media Relations and Development Associate will coordinate and execute media outreach across various campaigns and issues, including:
- Assisting in the drafting, proofreading, pitching and distributing of media content;
- Assisting with media outreach and follow-up for local, national, and regional press;
- Securing coverage to raise the profile of and increase public awareness on high-priority issues;
- Building and maintaining key media relationships;
- Maintaining and organizing press distribution lists by issue and geographic region;
- Coordinating and maintaining an organizational editorial calendar with awareness of external conflicts and critical timing;
- Organizing and publicizing press events and webinars;
- Developing targeted media strategies and keeping key projects on track with proactive pitching; and
- Researching and gathering data for writing and fact checking stories.
Grant Reporting Responsibilities: Reporting to the Director of Grants and Communication, the Media Relations and Development Associate will assist with grants management, reporting, and ongoing communications with funders, including:
- Writing grant proposals as assigned;
- Preparing periodic grant reports as required;
- Ensuring quality of information and data submitted in proposals and reports;
- Researching new foundations and working with our internal staff to ensure accuracy and compliance; and
- Collaborating with other Delaware Riverkeeper Network staff to shape proposals and reports that inspire funders.
Qualifications: Candidates for the Media Relations and Development Associate position should be highly organized, environmentally aware, hard-working, dedicated and reliable. The qualified candidate will possess:
- Demonstrated interest in the environment and a background in environmental studies, communications, or a related field (appropriate level degree or work experience);
- Interest and willingness to undertake all levels of administrative, program, and both basic and high level support tasks that will be asked of them;
- Excellent communication, writing, and organizational skills;
- Strong research and analytical skills and attention to detail;
- Good time-management skills and a proven ability to meet deadlines;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively; anticipate basic and high level needs; identify steps necessary to accomplish assigned tasks; and move projects forward to successful completion in support of and on behalf of the Delaware Riverkeeper and the Director of Grants and Communications; and
- Competence in Microsoft Office, Google Suite and Internet research. Familiarity with customer relationship management (CRM) software for grants management a plus.
This position requires a limited level of travel throughout the watershed, and access to reliable transportation is essential. Some evening and weekend work required.