Mohammed VI Polytechnic University is an institution dedicated to research and innovation in Africa and aims to position itself among world-renowned universities in its fields
The University is engaged in economic and human development and puts research and innovation at the forefront of African development. A mechanism that enables it to consolidate Morocco’s frontline position in these fields, in a unique partnership-based approach and boosting skills training relevant for the future of Africa.
Located in the municipality of Benguerir, in the very heart of the Green City, Mohammed VI Polytechnic University aspires to leave its mark nationally, continentally, and globally.
Job Title: Post-Doctoral fellow in Hydrological modelling and Groundwater recharge study
Area of specialization in IWRI: Integrated Water Resources Management
Expected starting date: May 1st, 2021
The Mohammed VI Polytechnic University (UM6P) invites applications for a position as Post-Doctoral fellow within the International Water Research Institute (IWRI).
The postdoctoral work will be performed in the frame of ASSIWAT project which aims to assess the sustainability of irrigated agriculture in water limited conditions through a combined use of remote sensing, eco-hydrological modelling and experimentation. A Decision Support System tool (DSS) for integrated water resources management at watershed level will be developed and tested. The postdoctoral research will specifically focus on developing and implementing an integrated eco-hydrological model (SAMIR-WEAP-ModFlow) and exploring the isotope and hydrochemical data to characterize the water dynamics and better constrain the groundwater recharge processes simulated at basin scale in semi-arid environment. The study area of the project will be the semi-arid hydrological basin of Tensift in Morocco. The work will be carried out in collaboration with several national and international academics, research centers and public sector partners.
The specific responsibilities and tasks of the postdoctoral researcher will include:
- Developing and implementing of the integrated eco-hydrological SAMIR-WEAP-ModFlow model over the study area,
- Assessing the water dynamics at the basin scale by exploring the isotope and hydrochemical data,
- Numerical modelling of the groundwater recharge processes constrained by stable isotopes and chemicals,
- Disseminating research results in academic journal papers and at conferences,
- Contributing in the supervision of graduate and postgraduate research students.
Criteria of the candidate:
Candidates should have a PhD degree or equivalent in earth sciences, hydrology and/or hydrogeology, or related disciplines.
– Knowledge of hydrology/hydrogeology and hydrological modelling,
– Experience in water chemistry and isotope techniques,
– Good skills in agro-meteorological, hydrological data processing and use,
– Experience in GIS and remote sensing techniques and tools,
– Knowledge of scientific computing environments (e.g. python, Matlab, R),
– Good written and oral English language skills.
– Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in an international and interdisciplinary team across institutes.