Area of specialization in IWRI Education and Research: Remote sensing science applied to either hydrology, meteorology, climatology.
The International Water Research Institute (IWRI) at Mohammed VI Polytechnic University invites applications for faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the area of large-scale hydrological modeling beginning in Winter 2020. The hired candidate will focus on will focus on large scale hydrological process using remote sensing data to infer water cycle parameters such as precipitation, soil moisture, water level in lakes and rivers. The objective is to design a robust large-scale hydrological model which makes full use of widely available remote sensing data for initialization, forcing and validation of hydrological cycle in the context of climate change. For this position we seek exceptional candidates with expertise in integrated hydrologic systems in large scale Space hydrology or a closely related field to the subject discipline. Preference will be given to those with good research and teaching experience. Good communication skills, both verbal and writing are important. Fluency in French and English are preferred.
Successful candidates are expected to:
- PhD in the subject discipline
- Demonstrated advanced expertise in remote sensing approaches and technologies.
- Have demonstrated excellence in research and a dedicated interest in high quality teaching in teaching courses at both the undergraduate and graduate level.
- Have Performed multidisciplinary research
- Demonstrated or potential ability to secure extramural funding, independently and with interdisciplinary teams
- Publication record in peer-reviewed journals ▪ Pursue scholarly and professional activities that will keep him/her at the leading edge of his/her field.
Criteria of the candidate:
- At least 2-5 years of experience in the subject discipline
- Relevant experience in the subject discipline as postdoctoral researcher, or in industry or in experimentation would be an asset
- Demonstrated understanding of operational requirements for a successful research project and managing resources.
- Proven ability to identify and fulfill the academic writing requirements for target publications.
- Ability to generate new ideas, links, and to build upon existing ideas to generate good concepts and solutions.
- Experience working in a collaborative research environment
- Experience Large scale Hydrological modeling with a diverse range of remotely-sensed data types and GIS
- Ground and satellite data processing
- Experience in Meteorology and climatology
- Modelling and data mining and analysis.
- Strong programming skills with scripting languages such as Python and Matlab.
- Experience with statistical analyses of geospatial data using ARCGIS or other software packages
Located at the heart of the future Green City of Benguerir, Mohammed VI Polytechnic University (UM6P), a higher education institution with an international standard, is established to serve Morocco and the African continent. Its vision is honed around research and innovation at the service of education and development. This unique nascent university, with its state-of-the-art campus and infrastructure, has woven a sound academic and research network, and its recruitment process is seeking high quality academics and professionals in order to boost its quality-oriented research environment in the metropolitan area of Marrakech.
UM6P-IWRI International Water Research Institute is the newest institute located in Morocco, provisionally in Rabat but the main infrastructures are planned in Mazagan and Laâyoune. The institute is dedicated to interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary education and research around water and climate.
The objectives are to conduct cutting-edge research where local themes are connected to global issues of water and climate, with a focus on:
- Integrated Water Resources Management
- Advanced Water Technologies
- Climate Change & Adaptation