DAI is an international development company. For more than 45 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results in about 80 countries. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.
DAI seeks candidates for the Deputy Chief of Party position on the anticipated USAID-funded Sustainable Peri-urban Water and Sanitation Services program in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The program will use local and market compatible approaches, promote iterative learning to support sustainable delivery of WASH services, increase collective capacity of local governments, communities, civil society and other organizations to leverage private investments and test solutions from a menu designed to address key constraints to peri-urban water and sanitation service provision.
The Deputy Chief of Party position will play a pivotal role in directly assisting the Chief of Party in providing technical leadership for the implementation of the USAID-funded Sustainable Peri-urban Water and Sanitation Services program in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Location: Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo with frequent travel to the Kasai Region.
• Develop training and capacity development plans for water service providers (WSPs) to improve the technical, financial and management performance for the providers.
• Assess county WASH policies and budget allocations for the sector and recommend improvements by designing and leading strategies to build the capacity of county and WSP staff in key technical areas of WASH planning and budgeting.
• Improve the capacity of county governments to plan, regulate, and monitor the performance of WSPs and community managed water projects;
• Assess the existing mechanisms of citizen involvement in WASH planning, make proposals for improvement and monitor the impact on of water and sanitation services.
• Advise on institutional arrangements, roles and responsibilities in relation to the water and sanitation service delivery at national and county level.
• Provide leadership in stakeholder engagement and collaboration.
• At least a Master’s degree in Engineering, Urban Planning, Business Management or any relevant social science
• At least 5 years of experience working on water and sanitation sector reforms
• Experience in working on urban water supply systems; community-based water supply and sanitation program implementation
• Experience working with capacity building, and/or experience working on governance programs;
• Experience with the principles and practices of finance as related to operation and capitalization of public utilities, and local budgeting experience
• A good understanding of the challenges of water service providers in DRC
• DRC experience strongly preferred
• Experience supervising staff
• Strong communication skills, both interpersonal and written, to fulfill the technical and managerial responsibilities proposed.
• Fluency in French; strong English language skills