About The IRC
We are, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international Non-Governmental organizations, providing relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response
Under joint supervision and technical support from Assosa and administrative managers in Bambasi Refugee Camp and in coordination with other teams and partners working in the project area, The position holder will manage activities, budget and staffs assigned for sanitation and hygiene promotion activities for which he/she assigned. The SHP officer is encouraged to participate in different project cycles assessment, planning, implementation, and supervising for effective technique of project activities. She/he will play a leading role in mentoring coaching and leadership of environmental health workers at operational area.
Key Job functions/responsibilities
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Participate in different phases of project planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation on water, sanitation & hygiene promotion related activities.
- Select and train refugee incentive workers on EH Guideline, Community Hygiene Club (CHC), Children’s Sanitation & Hygiene training (CHAST) methods.
- Coordinate and facilitate interactive and participatory hygiene promotion activities for Social behavioral change communication process.
- Provide professional and required support for Environmental Health Agents, School hygiene Clubs, Sanitation facility attendants for effective project implementation and success.
- Facilitate and lead grand total sanitation campaigns in schools and refugee communities.
- Coordinate and facilitates national and global WASH related campaign with Partners and refugee structures.
- Design feasible activity, procurement and spending plan for SHP activities.
- Actively encouraged to conduct different WASH need assessment.
- Plan & initiate procurement to program activities required for SHP within in the grant period.
- Handle finance, logistics and huma resources allocated for intended program activities.
- Develop Terms of reference on Knowledge, Attitude & Practice surveys in refugee and in IDP sites.
- Provide required support on crafting and developing questioners for KPC data collection Process and act accordingly.
- Participate and taking lead in KPC survey data collection and entry process by Open Data Kits applications. Draft and share KPC survey reports and findings to field office and crucial departments.
- Liaison with the local government and implementing partners in preparation of action plan for implementation of effective hygiene and sanitation promotion activities.
- Work with refugee leaders to identify volunteers/incentive workers for hygiene promotion/education.
- Take part in designing and production appropriate IEC/BCC materials for effective use.
- Keep all data, records, lessons and share accordingly.
- Prepare weekly, monthly and quarterly progress reports to technical and immediate mangers.
- Serve as SHP focal person in assigned operational area and refugee camps.
- Participate in other environmental health activities as assigned by the supervisor.
- University Post degree, BSc degree and diploma graduate in Environmental Health Science, Public Health, Health Education, or any other related field from recognized University.
- Minimum 1 years for post graduate degree, 2 years for first degree and 5 years relevant work experience for diploma holders.
- Previous experience of in refugees leading humanitarian projects is helpful.
- Earlier experience of implementing of CHC, CHAST, PHAST and CLTS trainings in refugees and IDPs is helpful.
- NGO experience is a plus.
- Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
- Basic supervisory/managerial skill.
- Technical and report writing skill.
- Computer literate.
- Proficient in spoken and writing English.
- Good communication and interpersonal skill.