Organizational Overview: Waterkeeper Alliance is a global movement uniting more than 350 Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates around the world, focusing citizen action on issues that affect our waterways, from pollution to climate change. Waterkeepers patrol and protect more than 2.8 million square miles of rivers, lakes and coastlines in Africa, Asia, Australia, the Americas, and Europe. For more information please visit: www.waterkeeper.org.
The NC Pure Farms, Pure Waters (PFPW) Campaign: For more than two decades, Waterkeeper Alliance has collaborated in an advocacy campaign with more than a dozen North Carolina Waterkeeper groups across the state to stop the adverse environmental impacts caused by the proliferation of industrial animal feeding operations (AFOs). Our advocacy efforts have included enforcement actions against AFOs, environmental justice legal/advocacy initiatives, and administrative and legal challenges to state and federal rules and permits, all supported by strategic communications.
Position Summary: The NC Campaign Coordinator is a member of the organization’s Advocacy department and reports to the Pure Farms, Pure Waters Staff Attorney and Campaign Manager. The position is primarily responsible for coordinating all components of the NC PFPW campaign, including collaborating with NC Waterkeeper groups and Waterkeeper Alliance staff to design and implement hard-hitting and effective campaign plans and individualized work plans with each involved Waterkeeper group, including advocacy, communications, and development strategies.
An excellent candidate for this position will be a “people person,” a powerful and effective advocate, a fast learner, and a natural leader, with inherent capacity to mobilize and motivate our staff, our NC Waterkeepers, our partner environmental and social justice groups, sustainable farmers, and other affected community members to work effectively and cohesively to advance and achieve the goals of the Pure Farms, Pure Waters campaign.
- Coordinate all components of the NC PFPW campaign, including collaborating with NC Waterkeeper groups and Waterkeeper Alliance staff to design and implement a hard-hitting and effective advocacy campaign;
- Coordinate and support Waterkeeper groups’ campaign work;
- Develop and coordinate partnerships with local, state and national organizations working on industrial agriculture and related issues;
- Coordinate Waterkeeper organizations and partners and work with in-house and/or outside counsel on regulatory comments at the state and federal level;
- Develop, deliver, or connect Waterkeeper organizations to training opportunities on important agriculture legal and policy issues;
- In conjunction with Waterkeeper Alliance’s communications department, develop, implement and evaluate a communications strategy, including but not limited to video, traditional and social media;
- Strategic campaign planning to ensure that the campaign’s work will be relevant and high-impact to advance campaign goals;
- Support the organization’s industrial agriculture fundraising goals;
- Coordinate and collaborate with the organization’s national and regional organizing staff;
- Execute additional projects as assigned.
Qualifications: The position requires a broad skill set and the successful candidate must be driven by a strong desire for a clean and healthy environment for all North Carolinians. The ideal Campaign Coordinator will have:
- A firm belief that everyone has a right to clean water for drinking, fishing, and swimming;
- Three or more years of relevant experience (preferably working directly on industrial animal agriculture issues), including a sound understanding of grassroots advocacy, policymaking, advocacy, and communications;
- Demonstrated familiarity and commitment to working with, and being guided by, impacted communities, and incorporating principles of justice, equity, diversity and inclusion into campaign objectives, outcomes, and processes (prior experience organizing in, and working with, BIPOC communities a plus);
- Significant experience in some or all of the following: campaign planning, strategy development and implementation, project management, organizing, lobbying, policy drafting and review, media relations, and working with community, political, and business leaders;
- Knowledge, experience and background with water quality issues;
- A demonstrated ability to interact effectively with lawmakers, other elected officials, and agency staff;
- Ability to collaborate with Waterkeeper Alliance’s development and communications staff to support fundraising efforts;
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills;
- The ability to work well independently;
- Familiarity with, or the ability to readily adapt to, the Waterkeeper culture and model;
- A charismatic and likeable personality and a good sense of humor.
Culture & Benefits: Our staff and Waterkeepers are the heart of our mission, and we are committed to pursuing the principles of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) as we move toward a more equal and empowering future as an organization. We aim to create and sustain a workforce that reflects the hundreds of global communities we strive to protect in our fight for clean water, and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply to join our team!
We offer a competitive industry salary, excellent benefits including 15 vacation days and paid parental leave, work from home opportunities, and a healthy work-life balance to all members of our team.
Start Date: ASAP. This position will remain open until filled.
Applications: Send resume, one original writing sample, and a cover letter to [email protected] with subject line “NC PFPW Campaign Coordinator.” Please note that applications must be emailed to [email protected] to be considered for this position. No phone calls, please.
Waterkeeper Alliance is dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Waterkeeper is a registered trademark of Waterkeeper Alliance, Inc.